Friday, 28 July 2017

Bless the broken road. . .

This much I know is true. . . 

I set out on a narrow road so many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

How many roads have you been down?
We sometimes forget that we are constantly on roads but don't really take much notice of our surroundings while we're on the road.  As a passenger in cars, I have the luxury of noticing what goes on in roads, while the driver is usually occupied with making sure we have safe passage on those roads.  I sometimes think it's strange when you're with someone but can still feel like they will never really understand you, or know what you're really about.  Are these the times when you are lost?  Where the signs pointing you?  Just as I think I can rely on things and know what is for sure, there are just as many changes that you move along just as quickly as you thought your convictions were immobile.

That every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
Yes it did

Who are the northern stars in your life?
They might not even know that they have broken your heart, unless you have told them.
On your broken road you may come across people who will help to heal parts of your broken road.
It has to be said that you should also be careful not to be responsible for breaking other people's roads either.  Even if you don't mean to, had no intention of doing so, but I think if people practised more self reflection and were more considerate of others, there would be less pain in the world.  It is challenging enough not to cause self inflicted pain, let alone collect it from others who want to transfer theirs to you.  What do you do when you carry so many other broken roads from everyone else?  Who will be there to help you with your broken road?  Even if you don't believe in God and have lost faith in humanity - there must be someone or a higher being (if you aren't strong enough) who will bless your broken road.


I think about the years I just spent passing through
I'd like to have the time I've lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

The gift of time is extremely precious - and one that people shouldn't take for themselves if they can't give it freely.  What places have you been to that allows people to truly understand where you come from?  You should be able to surround yourself with people who will always hold your hand, no matter what you do.  It is hard to find non-judgemental people who will accept you warts and all.  How can you repay someone for all the time they have spent on you?  You can't give that time back.  I went to watch a friend perform with his band last night and it was an interesting experience.  I went alone and had the opportunity to soak in the atmosphere.  At one point it was funny to be standing there minding my own business and then have parents of a former music student approach me.  They wanted to know what I was doing at the venue and who I was connected to.  I said I knew the frontman of the band.  They commented on the fact that I have a wider reach of music and not just within a classroom.  Well, I don't think you can be a real music teacher if you aren't some type of musician first.  You can't teach about music if you can't spend time appreciating it.  I've moved beyond teaching music, but I guess it's all part of that grander plan that's coming true isn't it.

And now I'm just rolling home 
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I hope that I will be able to see that even when my road ahead is broken, that I won't be focused on how hard it is to travel upon; in fact that won't be my focus.  My whole life has never been easy, even though people would like to think that it is.  All of the challenging moments I have ever faced, have all been because it is important training for what I am meant to do in this life, on this earth, during this time.  Even though I miss Loma, and wonder if he would be proud of all that I have achieved thus far in his absence, I know that he is never very far away.  I see him and feel him in all the plans that we made so long ago but what I was going to be able to do for him, for myself, for us.  There are no lover's arms in this lifetime that could warm me, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I just don't think it's a priority for me right now.  I'm using this time to get used to who I am, knowing the 'me' that I need to be, before I form another 'we'.  All I need to remember is that God will always bless my broken roads, regardless.  This much I know is true. . .