Sunday, 25 June 2017

The story. . .

It's true, I was made for you. . . 

All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don't mean anything
When you've got no one to tell them to
It's true, I was made for you

Who knows the real stories about you?  People may only know certain chapters, but never really know the complete story that is you.  I don't think it's possible for people to really your complete story, and if they do, it's either because you've been really honest with them, or they care enough about you to pay attention to know everything about you.  Do you have someone to share your stories with?  I think people tell me their stories either because they have nobody to tell them to, or they can't actually tell their real stories to the ones they want to tell them to the most.  How do we get ourselves into those positions?  It can sometimes be hard to be the keeper of stories and figure out what it is that you are meant to do with those stories.  If you have a repository of stories for as long as your can remember, and those same people keep telling you their stories, then you must be doing a pretty good job of it.  Sometimes you become a story keeper rather than a story teller.

I climbed across the mountain tops
Swam across all the ocean blue
I crossed all the lines, and I broke all the rules
But baby, I broke them all for you
Oh because even when I was flat broke
You made me feel like a million bucks
You do
I was made for you
For you

When we say that we do things because we do them for others - we need to be really clear.
Is it really for that other person's good, for their benefit, or we are just deluding ourselves by saying that to ourselves time and time again?  What do we hope to gain by doing things for others?  If you have something to gain, then that is the wrong intention.  We should be doing things for others because it is always right to be able to help and support others, and not think that it is important to do so, because of the expectation of reciprocity.  Sometimes that is the furthest thing from their minds.  So much short term gain with long term pain.  When someone can make you feel truly valued and have a purpose to fulfil, hold onto these people as long as you can.  If you find that you are the one who is being constantly taken from, you need to start questioning how much you want that to continue happening.  Does your self worth diminish because you're giving so much of it away to others?


You see the smile that's on my mouth
It's hiding the words that don't come out
And all of my friends who think that I'm blessed
They don't know my head is a mess
And they don't know what 
I've been through like you do
And I was made for you

Be real with yourself.
People take you at face value for all of the things that you're saying.
But nobody bothers to listen carefully to what you are not.
Is it really all hiding behind your smile?
I think people sometimes are equipped to deal with your dramas or personal problems, because they either don't have the same barriers you might be facing, or are just not experiencing anything worth having dramas about in their own life.  On the flip side, if you are dealing with traumatic issues and still able to take on other people's dramas (let's be honest, drama is in the eyes of the beholder) then you just have a huge capacity to care for others.  Despite your own circumstances.  Good on you.  And if nobody has said anything to you - thanks for being a really good friend.  Even if people don't appreciate what you do for them - as long as you know that you are, that's all that matters.

And all of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don't mean anything
When you've got no one to tell them to
It's true, I was made for you
It's true that I was made for you. . . 

I hope that when you look back at your life, you will be able to see how much you meant to people.
They might not realise it now, but that's ok.  They won't realise until you're gone and things will have changed without you.  If you're someone who doesn't like to make other people feel bad in your absence, I guess you could spend time trying to get people to understand your stories, that is, if you're willing to share stories with them.  If you have nobody to tell you stories to right now, write them down instead, or be like me, and write your thoughts and feelings in a blog.  Stories can still mean something when there are people to read them.  So even if there is no significant other (or just another) in my life right now, just know that I write these stories for you; it's true that I was made for you. . .