Sunday, 19 March 2017

Many the miles. . .

Many the miles I have to get to you . . . 

There's too many things that I haven't done yet
Too many sunsets
I haven't seen
You can't waste the day wishing it'd slow down
You would've thought by now
I would've learned something

Worrying about how much you have to get through in life, you begin to start feeling anxious about what you are meant to be doing that comes from deep within yourself.  Do you spend enough time getting to know yourself in a way that means that you can control time in your own way?  Prioritise what is important to you, prioritise who is important to you and then make decisions based on those things, on those people and create the necessary conditions so that you don't have to waste away the day wishing it would slow down.  Just keep your head down, keep working on what you need to and everything will fall into place.  Maybe we never really learn the things that we think we already know, because we never really learn them.  We are just meant to experience them and absorb them into our skins the same way we rub sunscreen to protect us from harmful UV rays.

I made up my mind when I was a young girl
I've been given this one world
I won't worry it away
But now and again I lose sight of the good life
I get stuck in the low light
And then love comes in

It is completely natural to lost sight of the good life that we are trying to create ourselves.
Some of those distractions could be because there are people who are trying to stop you from living your best self, because all they see is you progressing and moving on with your life - either without them or in spite of them.  What childhood things did you see with your mind that you decided - right - when I'm grown up, I won't be like that, I won't make those poor decisions, I will be better than where my circumstances have brought me.  The only reason we might get stuck in the low light is that secretly, underneath it all, we have become accustomed to its deceptively soft light and mistaken for some kind of setting that we deserve, so that we stay in the shadows and try to be as inconspicuous as possible, melting into the background much like ice on a hot pavement in summer.

How far do I have to go to get to you
Many the miles, many the miles
How far do I have to go to get to you
Many the miles
But send me the miles and I'll be happy to 
Follow you Love

Do you know how far you have to go?
I can't help but think about how many miles I've been, before even contemplating on the many miles I have ahead of me.  I don't think that we need to worry too much about how far we need to get to someone.  We just need to figure out how far we can get to seeing the best in ourselves, because it is only by being able to visualise ourselves going all those miles, will we be able to get there in reality.  There is a lot to be said for being able to visualise conquering many miles.  It is easy to say and it easy to have a false sense of bravado, but you forget, if you intend to get through as many miles as possible, be prepared to get in the training, build up your stamina and train hard for those many miles.


I do what I can wherever I end up 
To keep giving my good love
And spreading it around
'Cause I've had my fair share of take care and goodbyes
I've learned how to cry
And I'm better for that

Have you had your fair share of rejections and disappointments in love?  For some people they only need to meet that one person and it's a forever happily ever after sort of ending.  For others, they might need to kiss quite a few frogs before they find their prince, or finally have that knight in shining armour come to collect them from their distress.  I often smile when I think about people saying take care when they leave you, because I wonder - do they really mean that?  Is it just another things that people say in the absence of what they really mean or what they are too afraid to say?  I cynically sometimes think when someone says 'take care', it's actually short for 'take care of yourself because I can't.'  But in saying that, I think it's important to experience heartache and disappointment, to know what it means not to be loved anymore because when you finally come face to face with Love, you'll know what it was meant to really feel like, without anymore negative thoughts of a doomed or failed past, a wall of shame of the ones who got away, or the ones who couldn't leave fast enough.

Sing how far do I have to go to get to you
Many the miles
Many the miles
How far do I have to go to get you
Many the miles
Send me the miles and I'll be happy to 
Follow you Love

Seeing how many miles lay in front of you can be enough to put off the most seasoned of endurance runners.  There might some obstacles on that road that you can't see with the naked eye.  There might be some hazards that you can't make out right now, things that you can't see lurking ahead, lying in wait for you to stumble across.  Sometimes we can become over confident and easily fall into the complacency trap and think just because we have run so many miles before, that we underestimate the current course.  We might think that because we have this experience, this expertise, that we are able to read the signs accurately, that we are able to give advice to others about those miles.  But we forget too that everyone's journey is different, that they have their own personal set of miles to conquer and to run, far away from your critical eyes, far from your judgements that are not needed; but more support instead.

Red letter day and I'm in a blue mood
Wishing that blue would just carry me away
I've been talking about
Don't know if it's helping or not
But surely something has got to got to give
'Cause I can't keep waiting to live. . . 

It is always helpful to feel sad from time to time; to know that when you are not feeling your best, when things don't go as you planned, that you are able to talk about things when you are blue.  I find that when you are able to open up to someone and talk through what troubles you, what ails you, then you are able to vent, offload and let go of issues that can fester and drive you silently insane on the inside, far away from prying eyes.  If you are like me, then you often become a shoulder to lean on or cry on, a buddy to help pick up someone off the floor, an ally to help others laugh through all the pain; all the while laughing at your own life milestones.  Maybe we don't need to have perfect lives, but rather, just enjoy life crashing into everything like a bull in a china shop and not worrying about having to pick up the pieces.  I think if we all keep hold of hope and know that there are always good things to come, even when we can't see or feel them right now.  Don't waste another minute holding yourself back, thinking about what it is you can't do because others say you can't or want to stop you.  Put your game face on and know that surely something has got to give, 'cause I can't keep waiting to live. . .