Tuesday, 21 February 2017

Love letters. . .

To all the lovers of love letters. . . 
Dedicated to Sitina Cowley-Semeatu - sharing memories of our widow journey as sisters in law. . . 

Have you ever written love letters to your beloved?
When you're young, you might have passed notes to someone that you were interested in during grade school/primary school/elementary school and those are the times that you would remember the most. Those first impressions of love you carry with you in your heart for a long time, and you probably lock away those romantic notions of fairytale romance until you meet someone who is able to embody those storybook tales our teachers encouraged us to read.

Fast forward to high school and you might remember when those notes became even harder to write and you wrote those secret love letters to the object of your affection, but never actually passed it on for fear of rejection.  Instead you hid these love letters in your locker and contemplate the perfect moment to pass it on, whether it was leading up to asking them out to some dance and then thinking about how it would feel to be open with your love.  We torture ourselves doing stuff like this, but it's all part of the human condition isn't it and what makes us feel excited about the pursuit of happiness that comes from when we seek to have love in our lives.

Love letters straight from your heart
Keep us so near while apart 
I'm not alone in the night
When I can have all the love you write

When I have received love letters from people's hearts it has always fascinated me.
There is something quite magical about being on the receiving end of someone who has taken the time to put their feelings on paper, thinking about you all the while as they write.  Do you read words over and over that someone writes and then instantly feel comforted?  There aren't many words that people can write that can make me feel a certain type of way, but when it does happen, I know it stems from the fact that maybe I might have developed some feelings for them.  I guess this is why they say that the pen is mightier than the sword; it has the power to break your heart wide open when you least expect.


I memorise every line
And I kiss the name that you sign
And darling then I read again right from the start
Love letters straight from your heart

Have you kept the love letters that you have received?
I keep what I have received but they live in boxes somewhere around the place.  Old diary entries tell me about the love letters.  It makes me smile.  It's like I'm reading my own critique about what the letters say and how I felt about receiving them at the time.  To think and reflect about how I would feel when I read them again from the start is entertaining.  I say entertaining not in a condescending way but I think about how much I've grown since then and I wonder if my feelings have evolved and if I hold onto such romantic notions again or forgotten how I even feel anymore?

I hope that when you think about the love letters that you've received or even recalled the love letters you've written but never given to its intended recipient, that you take into account what kinds of things that love letters are meant to do.  What do you think love letters are meant to express?  Sometimes we think too much about what we see on the page, rather than see what hasn't been said.  So in spite of it all, all I know is, make the most of the love letters that find their way into your hands.  Thank you to all who have written me love letters over the years.  Whether you regret writing them or not because of what transpired afterwards, just know that in one point in time, that I memorise every line, love letters straight from your heart, love letters straight from your heart. . .