Monday, 19 December 2016

How far I'll go. . .

When you finally understand that you are exactly where you are meant to be. . . 

I've been standing at the edge of the water 
Long as I can remember
Never really knowing why
I wish I could be the perfect daughter
But I come back to the water
No matter how hard I try

Have you ever known deep down inside you that there was something that you were meant to do but you couldn't explain it?  You could call it destiny or some kind of divine calling that you might have chosen to ignore, but what happens when you get to a point when you can no longer ignore it?  Even if you were forbidden from even entertaining the idea because of the dangers that lie ahead (people are trying to protect you) but you just can't seem to explain that you've been having visions or dreams about this destiny that only you can fulfil?

Every turn I take
Every trail I track
Every path I make
Every road leads back to the place I know
Where I cannot go
Where I long to be

There is a sense of freedom that you might feel from being somewhere that you know you aren't meant to be.  You take every other road imaginable but it always seems to lead you back to the very place you are trying to avoid.  Why does that happen you might think?  Is it because you're not trying hard enough to stay away?  Or do you think that you are meant to be at that place?  We can often feel like other people try to dictate how we think and feel about our own destiny, but we can no longer ignore what our path or trail or road should be.  Why deny yourself any longer?

See the line where the sky meets the sea
It calls me 
And no one knows how far it goes
If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me
One day I'll know
If I go there's just no telling how far I'll go

For too long we can listen to the wrong people who don't have our best interests at heart.  We might even find ourselves listening to people who even though publicly they say all the right things to your face, privately think you don't have what it takes to achieve your goals.  Who knows how far you will go in life, but that's the beauty of it right?  You get to decide that - nobody else.  They have their own paths to follow so why should they feel entitled to give you their advice when you didn't ask for it?  I like to think that the wind in my sail on the sea are my parents.  No matter how many times they can drive me crazy, but I understand that their wisdom has been gifted to them by my ancestors and affirms part of the calling that comes from my own line where the sky meets the sea.  Are you listening to your own calling?


I know everybody on this island
Seems so happy on this island
Everything is by design
I know everybody on this island
Has a role on this island
So maybe I can roll with mine

There is a sense of belonging when you're in a community.  If you're from where I'm from, the churches have replaced the villages from the islands and everybody has a role to play in society if not based on hierarchy and rank, then definitely by their gifts and talents.  Sometimes we think that we need to always be a part of this community forever, but we forget that we too can explore and navigate our own paths and follow where it leads us.  This doesn't mean that we forget where we come from, but more than anything, we should take our communities with us in our hearts, because the things that we will achieve in other places will be on behalf of our communities; to show the young ones in the next generation that they too can dare to dream and navigate their own pathways.

I can lead with pride
I can make us strong
I'll be satisfied if I play along
But the voice inside sings a different song
What is wrong with me?

When you reach that point that you recognise that what you are able to contribute to the world is unique and different, don't be afraid of it.  For too long we can deny ourselves the opportunities to make good on things that we can never understand, but once we are willing and ready to accept that we are thrust into an adventure that we didn't want to be in, we then see that it is part of the divine composition that is you.  There is nothing wrong with you.  It's just that you're song is different from everybody else's.  Get to know how your melody will roll with other people who can provide the harmonies to support you on your journey.  Others may come along to distract you and deter you from reaching your goals, so know when to avoid them or set them on their own pathways.

See the light as it shines on the sea
It's blinding
But no one knows how deep it goes
And it seems like it's calling out to me
So come find me
And let me know
What's beyond that line
Will I cross that line

You may need to find some guidance on your journey.  This advice may come from people that you least expect.  They might be people who you wouldn't normally see as fonts of knowledge, and you would normally be quite dismissive of them.  They might be people who have been sent to test you and hurt you, but if you are smart, you will pay attention to the lessons that they aren't aware that they're teaching you (but you will know, because you will be willing and ready to accept by then).  The thing about lines is that we have the power to cross them when we want to.  We think that lines can't be broken - they don't need to be - they just need to be crossed.  What are you willing to cross the line for?  Who will you take with you to cross that line?

See the light where the sky meets the sea
It calls me
And no one knows how far it goes
If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me
One day I'll know
How far I'll go . . . 

We might not see at first glance that light where the sky meets the sea.  To the untrained eye, all you would see is blinding light.  But if you can train yourself, you will be able to see the horizon and know that you are meant to be there.  I hope that you take the necessary provisions with you on your quest, not to find yourself, but to know how far you are able to go; to test your endurance, your strength of character and ultimately, to show the world the hero that you were destined to be.  I mean, who wouldn't want to make a contribution to their community right?  Who knows where we will end up.  I just know that I am definitely on my way, I am definitely closer to one day I'll know how far I'll go. . .