Saturday, 24 December 2016

All I want for Christmas is you. . .

Merry Christmas everyone. . . hope you get what you want this year :-)

I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true oh
All I want for Christmas is you

It's been great to see how all my friends and family are celebrating Christmas here in Aotearoa New Zealand.  As much as I love spending time with friends and family during the holiday season, I like spending time alone to contemplate and reflect on what has happened since last Christmas - and there has been a lot that has happened.  I haven't really been much of a 'presents' person when it comes to Christmas (don't get me wrong, I appreciate gifts that come in all forms) but the focus for me has always been about the memories made with people.

I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I don't need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace 
Santa Claus won't make me happy
With a toy on Christmas Day

How do you spend your Christmas Day?  Today I had a quiet time today with my parents.  All my siblings are overseas but we had Christmas calls from them so that was nice.  What makes you happy on Christmas Day?  You might think that you know what doesn't make you happy.  Most of the time you would know what's missing that makes you happy much more easily than what does.  I think the older I get I will probably like more peace at Christmas time, which I have been very lucky to be able to have lately which is great.  Thinking about those people who are no longer in this world that I would like to spend Christmas with, makes me reminisce about Christmases of the past that have wonderful memories attached to them.

I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true oh
All I want for Christmas is you

If there are people that you want for your own, you should be able to tell them.  If they already know, that's great.  Sometimes we don't have words to articulate our feelings so we rely on actions, which is also great.  What are some things that people have done to show you that they care for you?  It might be on different scales - small gestures or grand gestures.  I guess the other person wants you to understand that they care and should know you well enough to know which type of gestures you respond favourably to - small or grand.  What wish would you most like to come true?

I won't make a list and send it
To the North Pole for Saint Nick
I won't even stay awake
To hear those magic reindeer click

What lists do you have about choices that you make that require some deep consideration?  You might be contemplating a big move somewhere for a change of scene, you might be considering a new job?  You might even be considering a significant change in your circumstances that you've always thought about but never said aloud.  There is definitely something magical and mystical about Christmas.  Even if you don't believe in the power of the birth of Christ or what Santa Claus can do, are you open to accepting something greater than yourself?


'Cause I just want you here tonight 
Holding on to me so tight
What more can I do
Oh baby all I want for Christmas is you

The acceptance that comes from knowing where things are, the state of things in your life, together with were you stand with others and your connections with them is important.  What are you prepared to hold on tight to and what are you prepared to let go of?  There might be people or things that are clutching tightly to you and you don't know how to respond other than by holding on just as tight.  But holding tightly onto something that isn't there, has eroded over time or has just simply been vacant for a while, has been empty for some time - why do we continue to look for what isn't there?

All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children's
Laughter fills the air

There's nothing that quite eclipses the sound of children's laughter.  I think this is why Jesus said to his disciples at one point not to deny the children who came to Him, as it is the meekness of children and their innocence that shows us how to gain entry to heaven and also show us what angels are like.  Do you spend enough time around children?  If you don't, make time to connect with the little humans in your life, or volunteer for a charity organisation that benefits children so that you can see what wonder looks like in their eyes and what we used to be like before we let the world and its ugliness pervade our lives.

And everyone is singing
I hear those sleigh bells ringing
Santa won't you bring me
The one I really need
Won't you please bring my baby to me quickly

I don't know if Santa has ever brought me anything that I wanted.  I didn't grow up in a household where Santa was a main feature of the household during Christmas time.  We knew that Jesus was the reason for the season and knew all the major players in the nativity scene.  I think I had a childhood fear of Santa thanks to my father.  There was a huge Santa that stood above a major department store that was then moved to the top of a major bookstore in the middle of the city.  I nicknamed him Scanta (Scary Santa).

I don't want a lot for Christmas
This is all I'm asking for
I just wanna see my baby
Standing right outside my door

There have been a few family members that have dropped around and visited my parents today.  I see how much they enjoy visitors that come around to the house and spend time talking to them.  I remember as a child talking to my grandparents and other people's grandparents and how much I enjoyed hearing them regale me with stories of their youth and the things they did when they were my age.  I could vividly see what they described in my mind and it was always fascinating for me to see them in a different light and see how their eyes and smiles lit up as they remembered stories that they had thought they had forgotten.  Have you opened your door to people this Christmas?  I know I said that I like to spend Christmas alone, and I do.  But if people drop by the house, then that's cool too.  I deliberately don't make plans because I think if people want to see you, they will just stand right outside your door.

I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true oh
All I want for Christmas is you

I hope that whoever you are spending time with this Christmas, wherever you are in the world, that you are happy.  I have a dear friend that sends me Christmas cards each year without fail of her family.  I know it's Christmas when I receive a family photo from the lovely +Natalie Faitala. When people make the time and effort to send you a thoughtful gesture, all I can send back is my gratitude and hearfelt prayers for peace and goodwill.  So what is my Christmas wish this year?  Even with my beautiful Loma gone, all I want for Christmas is you and your family to be happy :-)