Friday, 18 November 2016

Good riddance (time of your life). . .

Are you having the "time of your life"?

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

According to my starsign, I'm supposed to be at the beginning of a new cycle in my life.
If this is anything to go by, then that means that this is a good point to take stock of what I've achieved (or not achieved) over the past few years.  I think this is a natural thing to do, especially if you also happen to be nearing the end of a decade and starting a new one next year.  Where has time directed you to go when it grabbed you by the wrist?  Did you use your time wisely?  Did you manage to see and experience the things that you always wanted?  What lessons have you learned so far in your time?  Have you been able to make time to do the things that you want or saved time so that you could?  Where do you think you're heading in your life with that proverbial fork in the road?

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right
I hope you had the time of your life

I guess the "not knowing" is a good thing right?  When something is unpredictable it might come as a pleasant surprise or a nasty shock.  I think lately I've had a mixed bag - a smattering of pleasant surprises and a couple of nasty shocks.  I guess it's what you do after you react to those surprises and shocks.  I won't bore you with the details of the shocks.  Those stories feel like they belong in the scripts of daytime soaps because the plot lines mirror those perfectly!  But today's latest pleasant surprise?  A mate of mine who is currently teaching in Thailand just told me that his wife is due next month and he's going to name their baby after me.  Granted he said he had thought about it for a very long time and that he always wanted a Māori name (I'm not Māori though, I'm Samoan for those first-time readers of this blog) but he said he's always seen me as one of the biggest influences of his life.



So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth it was worth all the while

I take photographs with my mind all the time.  When I do workshops with teachers and students one of my techniques for memorising people's names in the room is to take photos of their faces with my mind.  I always have to explain to people that I'm not trying to invade their personal space, but in fact I need to get a little bit closer so that I can memorise the colour of their eyes, the shapes of their faces, how they wear their hair, how their mouths look when they smile; it almost feels like my eyes scan their faces into my memory bank.  Do you have tattoos of memories?  I have a tattoo but it's a cultural one and there's a funny story behind that - my father wanted me to get one and I didn't want it.  But as the dutiful daughter, I did as he wanted and got the tattoo done anyway.  What makes that story funnier is that with all the brothers I have - I'm the one with the tattoo (yes, the sole girl in the family).  I guess if life teaches us anything, it's about never having regrets about things that happen to you - even the bad stuff.  Why?  Because those bad times and bad people teach us how to be resilient and what not to do, who not to be and where not to go.  As bad as things get, there will always be a remnant of it was worth all the while.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right

I hope you had the time of your life

I hope that I will continue to have more unpredictable things even - more of the pleasant surprises and the nasty shocks.  I mean, aren't these the very things that make up our lives?  We can't only have good times, there must be a mix of bad times too - and these help to lead us to that fork in the road so that we can make important decisions.  In the end, do we know that it's right?  Will we arrive at the right end?  Is that the right end?  Who knows right?  As long as you have the time of your life.  As for me, despite whatever difficulties float my way, I know I will eventually have the time of my life.  It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right. . .