Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Are we there yet? . . .

This blog post is for those who need to develop patience. . . 

They say that home is where the heart is
I guess I haven't found my home
And we keep driving round in circles
Afraid to call this place our own

And are we there yet?

Do you know where your heart is?  Do you know where home is?  We probably drive around in circles because home is probably somewhere that we never thought would be - in some place completely different and far away from the only home you may have known, with other people that you never thought you would think to feel at home.  How do you know when you're there?  I guess that's what makes life fun right?  Taking the time to discover what it means to have a heart, what it means to have a home and how to know when you've reached that destination.

They say there's linings made of silver
Folded inside of each raining cloud
Well, we need someone to deliver
Our silver lining now

I used to think rain clouds were bad things.  But until I actually stood back and had a good look at where the rain fell from those clouds - on objects, on people, on me - how rain felt on my skin.  It made me think about how being in rain is a chance to be clean again.  It's a chance to be renewed, to start over and to enjoy how rain mixes with objects and people and how they react to it on their surfaces, on their skins.  Who delivers your silver lining in your clouds?  I used to rely on someone always bringing those silver linings; a totally natural thing when you're a child, relying on someone to fix everything or make everything better.  But I think as the years passed, the more rain clouds that appear on the horizon, I have learned to rely on myself, to weather the possible storm that those rain clouds could quickly turn into when we don't pay close enough attention.  I just think we need to always be mindful of recognising those silver linings a lot quicker, for ourselves.  We also need to question whether those silver linings can be trusted.  How do we know that they are meant to be?

And are we there yet?
And are we there yet?
And are we there yet?
Home, home, home
Home, home, home

Who knows when you're "there" yet.  What does your "there" even look like?  It's probably a safe haven where you can truly be yourself and you can start to take note of your surroundings, start to put things away while you settle into your new home.  If you keep asking if you're there yet - who is it that you have with you that you want to build a home together with?  I haven't really thought too much about who will be in my home.  I know that for the time being that I am blessed to have my parents, who fill my heart and soul with life lessons that I know in their absence will continue to steer me like a moral compass for the rest of my days.



They say you're really not somebody
Until somebody else loves you
Well, I am waiting to make somebody
Somebody soon

Does somebody else love you the way that you need to be loved?  The way that you want to be loved?  We may either be in relationships where we think that we have what we want and need, or we may want to be in relationships where we want what we have or need, but time is crazy right, and we never seem to be where we think we should be.  Who is the somebody soon that you have in mind?  Whether we are ready to make somebody a "somebody" in our lives, it is completely up to you how that plays itself out.  Sometimes when somebody loves us, we don't know what to do about it and question whether we deserve to be loved.  That's a simple answer.  Everyone deserves to be loved.  Maybe when you least expect it, somebody is waiting to make you their somebody soon too.  Whether you want to be loved or not, it's always important to know whether there is a somebody on the horizon.  You never know how you will feel about what is happening, how to process it and what you should be focusing on.  It's all part of living right?  It's all part of the process. 

Where you will lie on the rug
While I play with the dog
And it won't be too much
'Cause this is too much
'Cause this is too much
'Cause this is too much for me to hold
This is too much for me to hold

What is too much these days?  I think the more we involve ourselves, become really engaged and really committed in living our best lives, we may often come face to face with things and situations that we feel are too much.  Are these things too much because we haven't yet faced such things with huge intensity before?  How much can you hold?  What are you prepared to do in order to be able to hold what could possible be too much for you?  Being able to be comfortable with somebody who loves you will mean being able to do things that you want without feeling like you have to compromise too much, but in fact, you are able to accept what you do and enjoy each other's company despite having different interests and doing different things that occupy your time.

Home, home, home
And are we there yet?
And are we there yet?
And are we there yet?

I hope that you find home soon.  I hope that you find yourself there, where you want to be.   We need to be able to trust the people on our journey, to know that we can rely on them to be able to if not offer advice, then at least know when to offer support when needed.  Why do we need to constantly question whether we are there yet or not?  Do we not recognise what it means to be there?  Sometimes we might not have even thought that far ahead and considered what it meant to be able to know, but that's what life is meant to be - a series of unknown events with unknown people mixed together to create memories that either last a lifetime or are burned, hoping to be forgotten.  I guess all we can really ask ourselves is and are we there?. . .