Wednesday, 16 November 2016

A beautiful day. . .

Note to self - no matter what's going on in the world. never lose sight of your place in it. . . 

Life is a journey
Not a destination
There are no mistakes
Just chances we've taken
Lay down your regrets 'cause all we have is now

The beauty of reflecting and thinking through some really difficult situations that you find yourself in, can result in some real meaningful learning for yourself.  If you are mad about something, you are totally entitled to stay mad until it rides its course out naturally.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  I think sometimes if we try to prevent ourselves from experiencing negative feelings, we find that we don't know how to experience these feelings by stretching it, testing it and knowing how we look and really feel when we aren't at our best.  I mean, how do you know what your best is supposed to look like when you don't know what you look like at your worst?

Wake up in the morning
And get out of bed
Start making a mental list in my head
Of all the things I'm grateful for

When you wake up, what mental list do you run through in your head?  I think when people ask me, why is it you're so happy or seem so calm, well it's because I choose to see each day as one that is full of hope, that is full of gratitude and one where I will choose how it turns out and being mindful of people around me when I have interactions.  Sometimes I think that means that I probably work harder than a lot of people in the room as I'm going into emotional intelligence overload, but I don't see any reason why you can't use this gift to be of use to others.  We just need to be aware of the difference between being of use - and being abused.  I see the two as being like how we define normal and abnormal - where one seems to be an accepted and healthy way of seeing something or engaging in something with consent, while the other is when your agency or autonomy is stamped out by someone who manipulates you, who abuses your gifts and talents to further their agenda, as a means to their end.


Early in the morning
It's the dawn of a new day
New hopes new dreams new ways
I open up my eyes and
I open up my mind and
I wonder how life will surprise me today

Today I'm in my national's capital city for work.  There was an earthquake here a few days ago that measured close to 8 on the richter scale, a lot higher than first thought.  I am very lucky that we were able to land the plane this morning and now as I write to you, I'm sitting in the lounge area blogging this while waiting for a return flight home.  I don't want to count my chickens though, as there is supposed to be a storm that is hitting us in a few hours, so we'll see if my flight gets cancelled.  I haven't been to sleep yet.  I mean, I tried to on the plane, but I sat next to a colleague who was joining me at the meeting today, so we chatted instead about what our new hopes, new dreams and new ways would be for the new year.  I don't know what came over me at that moment, but I had an overwhelming sense of hope and self love hit that made me smile, as even though I was extremely tired, I still wanted to hear about what her plans were as the uncertainty of the job market in our line of work is an ever present thing that people are reluctant to talk about.

Early in the morning
It's the dawn of a new day
New hopes new dreams new ways
I open up my heart and
I'm gon' do my part and
Make this a positively beautiful day

How will you open your heart today?  How will you do your part today?  When we walked into the lounge just before, one of the workers was trying to fit all of the empty plates, cups and glasses, cutlery included, all on his one tray.  When I looked at him, it was just in time to watch him drop everything and hear a loud smash as a breadplate cracked in half, muffin wrappers flew everywhere and coffee cups with coffee still in them stained the wooden floor.  He seemed embarrassed.  I noticed nobody stood up to help him and he dropped my bag and jacket to quickly help him pack up as much of what he had dropped to avoid further embarrassment.  One patron gave a snide remark. and the worker whispered, "It's alright, you don't have to do that".  I replied, "no, it's alright.  I don't mind helping you."  I looked up at the patron who had made the snide remark and he quickly wiped the smirk off his face.  I just think sometimes, it doesn't matter how you open up your heart or do your part - it's important to make someone's day a positively beautiful one - no matter how your own seems to fluctuate, rising and falling like the ebbs and flows of the tide, washing people to shore that you keep saving.

Life is a challenge not a competition
You can still smell the roses and be on a mission
Just take a moment to get in touch with your heart
Sometimes you feel like you've got something to prove
Remind yourself that there's only one you
Just take a moment to give thanks of who you are

I hope that you don't get too bogged down with things that you can't control because you let it consume you and take over all other rational thoughts that should be occupying your mind.  If you are hurting, it might take time to heal the pain you are suffering from, because your transgressor has violated boundaries that you thought you had established.  If you ever feel that you have anything to prove, do it for yourself and nobody else.  We should be at a point where we are our greatest competition, nobody else.  When we start to lose sight of the beauty that we behold of ourselves. this means that you are starting to lose focus on what you should be doing - and really, it's just doing something as simple as having a beautiful day. .