Tuesday, 11 October 2016

When I fall in love. . .

This blog post is dedicated to those who have yet to decide whether to fall in love. . . 

There may be times when you won't care to admit to yourself when you have been truly in love.  You might think you were in love once and long or yearn for love to arrive at your door.  But you won't hold out hope for it, because maybe people think if you were meant to be in love, then that should have already happened by now.  You might think that you have already had your one big love - it has come and gone - so there must be some kind of cruel joke that the universe plays on you and there's some secret quota where you only get to experience love once, if at all.

When I fall in love, it will be forever
Or I'll never fall in loveIn a restless world like this is
Love has ended before it's begun
And too many moonlight kisses
Seem to cool in the warmth of the sun

I have written about love in so many blog posts and they have always been coloured with thoughts or ideas from other people's experiences of love, my own, some imagined experiences or questions about love that I think are rhetorical but then some people might contact me later with some answers that I didn't know they had figured out because they were thinking the same things too.  A shared experience of love may be a good talking point; raise times for candid discussions that may happen behind closed doors or on private screens away from prying eyes, but they can also disappear as quickly as the sun warms moonlight kisses that never last long.  The thing about darkness is that eventually there is light - and are we happy with what we see in the bright morning sun that might have seemed attractive under the cover of darkness?  Is this what falling in love looks like to you?


When I give my heart it will be completely
Or I'll never give my heart
And the moment I can feel that you can feel that way too
Is when I fall in love with you 

When people give their hearts completely, you probably don't know how to take it all in.  So you play this waiting game,  biding your time by asking questions to test the waters to check whether what you think you're feeling, is actually true.  Why do we torture ourselves this way?  It's what makes us human isn't it?  We don't know any other way to be, but stumble through willingly (or unwillingly)  until someone else takes the pressure off and just says something.  What do you do with feelings in that instant?  You never say anything until you think that it could possibly be reciprocated?  What if it isn't?  Your only solution is to just sit tight and not say a word.  When things are said, sometimes you can't take them back, because words can either hang in the air and fill up the space, no matter how hard you try to ignore what was said, you couldn't deal with it and it's too hard to get to the bottom of and make it go away.  But that's love for you right?

And the moment that I feel that you feel that way too
Is when I fall in love with you

I hope that when you do feel something for someone, that you are able to tell them.
I mean, I could take my own advice (if or when the time comes).  Who knows.
You normally associate the act of falling with pain or some kind of discomfort.

But I guess this is what falling in love is all about, and when you decide to do so, this means that you have some kind of expectation or hope for it to be so, and if you are prepared to give your heart completely, you will most likely feel it in the moment when they feel it too. . .