Tuesday, 4 October 2016

What am I to you? . . .

What am I to you?
Tell me darlin' true
To me you are the sea
Vast as you can be
And deep the shade of blue

Can you ever really know what someone really thinks and feels?  Do you know what you are to them?  How much you mean to them, really?  We don't really know unless they tell us, but even then, we have to be able to trust that what they say is legitimate, that it is genuine and real.  The depths of an ocean can hide so much that we cannot easily see on the surface, and as much as we can float in those depths, we can just as easily drown if we're not equipped to survive its treachery.

When you're feelin' low
To whom else do you go?
I'd cry if you hurt
I'd give you my last shirt
Because I love you so

Have you been a shoulder to cry on?  When you are, the best thing to do is listen, but most of all, when you know someone has been through something traumatic, be patient and wait for them to come to you.  And even if they don't - that's ok too.  There are plenty of other ways that we can show how to be there for others or to show how we care.  It will just take more time to set things into motion and even then, we don't need to move unless they move.  There is a lot to be said for people who know how to innately respond to others in an empathetic and nurturing way.  Those souls are hard to find, so when you come across them, don't be too quick to dismiss them.  They are very rare indeed.

Now if my sky should fall
Would you even call?
I've opened up my heart
I never want to part
I'm givin' you the ball

The thing about the ball being in someone's court, is that it does teach you about patience.  And the thing about being patient, is that the longer you wait, the more excruciating you find waiting, but there's a lesson to be learned about being an extremely patient individual.  Imagine if we reacted over every single little thing that offended us all of the time - I know for myself, I would be a complete wreck, and not be able to function, but I must remember to not sweat the small stuff and not focus on that negativity either.  When you are anticipating that someone should reciprocate by bouncing the ball back in your court, be mindful about how to receive that ball - was it easy to catch again?  Do you have the energy to send it back and do you even want to continue this anymore?  Whatever this is?  I guess it's a fair question in that regard to ask what am I to you?


When I look in your eyes
I can feel the butterflies
I'll love you when you're blue
But tell me darlin' true
What am I to you?

Who knows what butterflies mean these days.  It could be mistaken for something that you think are butterflies, but it's just some residual nervous energy from somewhere else.  Do you think you make excuses for those butterflies or try to deny them?  In any case, butterflies are only as useful as what you're prepared to do with them.  Acknowledge them, do something with them or just forget them.  Whatever this is?  I guess it's a fair question in that regard to ask what am I to you?

If my sky should fall
Would you even call?
I've opened up my heart
I never want to part
I'm givin' you the ball

How many times has your sky fallen and you've completely recovered?  It could be because you've opened your heart to the right person, or you could've solved all of that yourself.  What do you think?  What do you feel?  It can be a natural state to be in, to not want to relinquish any of the comfort and security of such a bond if you think that it puts you in a safe place, happy and far away from imminent and constant danger.  Is that really living though?  Aren't we meant to have the sky fall and then figure out how to rise above it every time?

When I look in your eyes
I can feel the butterflies 
Could you find a love in me?
Would you carve me in a tree?
Don't fill my heart with lies
I will love you when you're blue
But tell me darlin' true
What am I to you?

I hope that you are able to find out what you mean to others.
We can often make the mistake of waiting till something tragic happens and then we never get that chance to really explain how good life really is when we are surrounded with the right people.  I have said in previous blog posts that I love easily and I love frequently, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It just means that I would have my heart broken more often than a person should care to admit, but that's how we know we're alive.  The pain helps us to understand just how much we need to heal.  So if you're wondering how things stand for you, just ask someone, what am I to you?