Thursday, 1 September 2016

Beautiful flower. . .

This is a song for every girl who's 
Ever been through something
She thought she couldn't make it through
I sing these words because I was that girl too
Wanting something better than this 
But who do I turn to?

In a world that can sometimes make it hard to celebrate women and what they bring to it, how women and their feminine strength is measured or compared to that of men, rather than for what it is - it's no wonder that we go through things all the time.  If you are a woman, have you wanted something better for yourself?  Sometimes because we are women, there are more obstacles in our lives because the people who make decisions about what is best for us, are made by men who don't have the best interests of women at heart - and these same men forget about the mothers, aunts and sisters who might have nurtured them.  I'm not saying I'm anti-men.  Not at all.  What I am saying is that we must be able to turn to our men for whatever we need, when we need.

Now we're moving from the darkness into the light
This is the defining moment of our lives

That moment when you emerge from darkness into light is a very special moment.  Think quite deeply about it.  When you have spent a long time in darkness, your eyes may a while to adjust to the brightness of the light, of your new surroundings, because you would've adapted to the darkness. You might have accepted that the darkness would always be there and trained your eyes to strain against the environment, before becoming familiar with your surroundings.  Can you think of the defining moment of your life?  I can't pin it down to only one as there have been so many defining moments that bleed into the next phase of a journey, but I guess, the moment that I overcame an obstacle that I never thought I could survive - that was it.

'Cause you're beautiful like a flower
More valuable than a diamond
You are powerful like a fire
You can heal the world with your mind

We can often forget the power that we have within ourselves because we spend far too much time believing negative things that we hear from people who don't value us, or don't even know us.  I think growing up into the woman that I am today, it has come with some challenges (and I welcome the further challenges that are yet to cross my path) that have helped to shape me and mould me - either directly or indirectly.  We can sometimes forget our worth and how much healing we need to do within ourselves and for others.  If we can ignite fires within others, can you imagine what we can achieve together?  I have discovered that I cannot hope to heal the world for others if I don't heal myself.  If I can use my mind to heal others, to use whatever ideas or concepts that I create - then it's my responsibility to share it and make it known.  Destiny talk and all that ;-)


There isn't nothing in the world that you cannot do
When you believe in you, you are beautiful
Yeah you, you are brilliant
Yeah you, you are powerful
Yeah you, you are resilient

It's a matter of perception or a matter of scale. There's nothing too great that you can't handle if you are willing to tackle things, engage with people that you might normally see as being quite challenging to work alongside, there is absolutely no obstacles to what you can achieve.  I think it's important to surround yourself with people who see you as beautiful, brilliant, powerful and resilient.  But I think it's equally important to learn from people who don't see you as those things, because they will indirectly be able to teach you how to become those things.  Isn't that a defining moment in your life?  That even if you are surrounded by weeds that threaten to overwhelm you, there will come a day when you will be able to push them aside and grow tall and bask in the sunlight.

This is a song for every girl who
Feels that she is not special
'Cause she don't look like a supermodel Coke bottle
The next time the radio says to shake your moneymaker 
Shake your head and tell them, tell them you're a leader

I've never really worried about what I looked like.  If anything as a child, I wanted to be a big person so that I could dissuade any unwanted attention from the opposite sex, I just wasn't into it.  Even if people thought that you didn't live up to their ideal of what beauty was - this was a strong lesson for me about the type of person that they were, rather than who I was.  If you are a confident person, comfortable in your own skin, in your own femininity, owning who you are in your space, regardless of what people think they know about you and how you live your life - just do you.

Whatever you are going through girl (what I tell myself in the mirror haha), just know that there is always something better in store for you, there is always something good coming around the corner, just hold onto the hope that you will just enjoy your life.  And even if you think there doesn't seem to be anything going on in your life, just know that, yeah you, this song is for you. . .