Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Love to love you. . .

I would love to love you like you do me
I'd love to love you like you do me
There's a pillar in my way you see 
I'd love to love you like you do me

I have often wondered what the pillar was doing in the way in this song.  Did someone put it there?  Did she put it there to separate you from her?  Do you think about pillars that you might have put in your own way, to stop you from loving someone the way that they love you?  When I think about pillars I immediately think about the types of Greek columns that we studied in Classical Studies in Greek art and architecture, those Doric, Ionian and Corinthian columns, with the designs becoming more elaborate as time progressed and tastes evolved and changed.

I met you on a sunny Autumn day
You instantly attracted me 
When asking for the way
God if I had known the pain I'd make you feel
I would have stopped this thought of us
And turned upon my heel

You never can tell how things will eventuate.  You can't tell if you will hurt someone in the long run, because of that damn pillar again I'm guessing, but maybe you're not thinking straight anyway.  Instead you're just busy being with them and not worrying too much about any adverse effects that will transpire, becoming involved with someone like you.  It isn't in our nature to think about consequences because we often don't see that when we're in the moment.  But others foresee the future more keenly than others so will not even entertain any other ideas.  They're quite happy with the pillar being in the way.  There's a sense of safety that comes with something solid, reliable and sturdy like a pillar.


(Go you should leave me)
Time make it be alright
(Go you must leave me)
Believe me when I tell you

People will often be reluctant to leave you because they can't imagine life without you or they can't see themselves being able to do things without your guidance or just being there for them.  The hardest thing is to convince someone who loves you more than them to let you go, to walk away from something that they don't want to.  Sometimes those choices are taken out of our hands, particularly if someone dies and it just ends.  You will wonder whether time does make things better, whether you will be able to heal and things will be better again, if it can't go back to some semblance of normal; what does normal mean these days anyway?  What everybody else is doing?  The status quo?  Life surely isn't as neat and tidy as that.  We delude ourselves if we think it is.  But I guess we believe what we want right?  Even if we have to tell ourselves things over and over again so that it sinks in.  We convince ourselves of certain things so that we can help ourselves and others move on and do what needs to be done for everyone's sanity.  I guess you could call it your own form of community or public service.

You recognised my barrier to love
I know there's nothing worse 
Than unrequited love (unrequited love)
So I prayed to God that I could give the love you gave to me
But something's lying in my way, preventing it to be

What is your barrier to love?  Unrequited love is the absolute worst type of love.  I've been on both ends, the who has pined for someone and one who has been pined after.  To be honest, I'm not sure that either position is a comfortable one.  When you have pined for someone, you might not want to disclose that you have feelings at all.  So what do you do?  Stay quiet, say nothing and hope that the feelings pass with time.  We would also be lead to believe that being pined after is a good thing, but if we are level headed, gentle and generous people, the last thing that we want to do is hurt people who would love us, but we just can't love them like they do us.  If the other party was too proud in the end and became mean spirited, then they never really loved you as they claimed.  What do you see for yourself?  I guess I'm still on a quest to break those pillars down. . .