Sunday, 7 August 2016

Got my girl for life. . .

Got my girl for life right by my side
Ain't gonna waste my time
Looking left, looking right
Straight ahead I see my girl looks tight

Has anybody made you feel like you were their girl for life?  Have you made a girl feel that way?
If you have the chance to be with someone who makes you feel that way, then hold onto them.  Everyone understands on some level how important fidelity and loyalty is, but it comes down to how we choose to exercise this in our different contexts.  When a man commits himself to you, he won't look at other women but keep his focus and gaze steady on you because of the woman that you are.

You're the girl of my dreams
(and the feeling's just beginning)
Everything that a man would need
(only you can pick and do it for me)
You know I'm so blessed to be with a girl
Who can understand the way I feel
(you know they're sweeter than sweet)

Feelings are always a tricky thing to talk about.  Not talking about can cause feelings not to be aired out or given a good run around the track to know how it performs under pressure or whether you can exchange or pass on the baton to someone else if need be.  When we do too much with our feelings, we can become emotionally draining on others around us, and end up being like "those ones" who like to feature in every single track event (which I wouldn't normally advise unless you had the stamina for everything, I mean no need to over exert yourself unless you're prepared to comfortably win them all).  But who wants to win all the track events right?  If we are everything that someone needs, that

Got my girl for life right by my side
Ain't gonna waste my time
Looking left, looking right
Straight ahead I see my girl looks tight

Time is never wasted when you know exactly what you value in someone and know how to connect with someone over those values.  We may often be distracted by what comes our way, looking left, looking right (that's right as in the direction, not right as in - that's the right one), but we won't recognise them for distractions until we learn to gauge our patterns of behaviour and what we keep attracting.  Conversations will for the most part, never spill into relationships unless more deeper and meaningful connections are made that go beyond the physical; it's the connection of heart, mind and soul that will supersede and transcend the physical.


See me through my ups and downs
(only you can make me smile when I'm down)
I love the feeling when you're around
(I would never take for granted now)
How I'm so blessed to be with a girl
Who can understand the way I feel 
(you know this feeling is real)

If you are lucky enough to have people that you like spending time with, and who make you feel good about being yourself, then it's safe to say that these people are worth staying in touch with.  If you are able to make someone smile and make them happy because their happiness is important to you and they mean a lot to you - then freely give that gift.  I have always been really appreciative of people who have done things for me because they know that I would like it and be grateful for their thoughtfulness.  Being though of in this way and making an effort to never take anyone for granted, is a special thing that you can do for someone else.  Count your blessing and recognise who has you in their life right now, who wants to be in your life, because who know what life brings our way.

Got my girl for life right by my side
Ain't gonna waste my time
Looking left, looking right
Straight ahead I see my girl looks tight

I reflect on the many situations I have found myself in where I have been in relationships where people claimed to have me for life, but it never really felt so.  As much as they would talk a big game, I always knew that there would be a time limit to the relationship, I knew that things would shortly come to an end, because something would precipitate or necessitate the end of the relationship.  I recognise now that it was because I felt that I had done all I could to speak life into those men and stand by them as much as I could - before realising that they would not be motivated enough to do things for themselves that didn't rely on me propping them up all the time.  A woman can only be as strong as the man who is able to pull his own weight alongside her ambitions.

Heaven is the greatest feeling ever
(Having you close, right next to me,  feels so good)
(No matter the weather, our love will last forever)
For eternity, share a lifetime of memories. . . 

As I head into this week I will be remembering Loma.  Thursday 11th August will mark another wedding anniversary without him, but I won't be sad.  I have so many memories of his love for me and how much I appreciated all of the things he taught me.  Loma taught me what vulnerability means, what exposing yourself and being completely honest in such a way that you're willing to throw your pride away because you need someone to know how you feel was of the utmost importance.  He was always a strong believer in "don't tell me you love me, show me."

I feel blessed that I was his girl for his life while he was here.
I will definitely be sharing a lifetime of memories with him in my dreams and hoping that he knows that wherever life may take me, or whoever life decides to position in my path, that he will always be able to say that with me - when I was his wife, I was his girl for life. . .