Tuesday, 14 June 2016

I wanna be down. . .

Brandy is currently on tour in the southern hemisphere and I'm actually going to her only NZ concert tonight in Auckland.  This song was released in 1994, my last year of high school and that was such a good year.  Do you have many years when you reflect and think, wow I did so much that year or I grew up and learned so much about myself or I can't believe I did those things?  I think the most fun you can have in life is the unexpected pitstops along the way.  They help to remind you to pull over and have a long look around you and drink in some of the things that you would normally drive by and never stop to enjoy.

I would like to know if I could be
The kind of girl that you could be down for
Cos when I look at you I feel something tell me
That you're the kind of guy that I should make a move on
And if I don't let you know
Then I won't be for real
I could be wrong but I feel like something could be going on
The more I see you the more that it becomes so true
There ain't no other for me it's only you

What do you do when someone catches your eye?  The thing I laugh about growing up was understanding what it meant to engage in establishing friendships or relationships with people that you liked, and subsequently wanted to spend more time with.  It's safe to say that physical appearance is always the first thing that you notice, and that totally depends on your taste and what you find attractive.  Beauty is after all in the eyes of the beholder.

I wanna be down 
With what you're going through
I wanna be down 
I wanna be down with you
No matter what time of day or night it's true
I wanna be down

How do you let someone know that you wanna be down with them?  You might make it obvious by telling them or dropping some subtle hints, or just showing them through deeds and actions, through grand gestures even, about how much you think about them or how much they have affected you.  Are you able to look back on your romantic life like it's a movie?  Can you please out some scenes in your head where you chuckle to yourself - what was I thinking?  Those times when you were completely down for someone and it was completely the wrong way to be, or if someone was down for you and you thought - why?  What could you possible see in me that makes you want to support me in that way?



I know anybody's gonna be lonely
Without the reason they've got someone to care for
Maybe all you need's a shoulder to cry on
If that's a fact then I'll be more than you could ever dream of
If all you need is the time that I got plenty of
I'll dedicate all my love until you call baby
I wanna stay by your side
Be there to call you up
And let you know everything will be alright

There's nothing more promising like emotional support from someone.  Especially when they are able to offer it at the most opportune time.  I guess it totally depends on how receptive you are to accepting people's help in this way, particularly if you are someone that doesn't really like to ask for help.  You might want to keep playing off that facade, that illusion or front that you have everything absolutely together in your life.  There is a sense of purpose in being able to care for someone rather than being cared for by them.  I guess you just want to be sure that if you're going to be down for someone, that it's reciprocated and they're going to be down for you too.

I wanna be down 
With what you're going through
I wanna be down 
I wanna be down with you
No matter what time of day or night it's true
I wanna be down

I hope that you allow yourself space to be with people who are down for you.  I know this song has romantic implications and shows us how we can offer emotional support to someone to reassure them that yes, if you are in their lives, they will be better people as a result of your loyalty and dedication as a friend; but we need to remember that regardless of how we make ourselves available for people no matter what time or day or night it's true, but sometimes I wanna be down just for me. . .