Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Good goodbye. . .

Old man, let me wipe your eyes
I've never seen you cry

What do we do when we come across someone who is crying?  Do you comfort them?  Do you think about how you can help them?  Try to understand how you feel about them crying and cry with them?  When we stumble across people in this way, do you know how to respond effectively?  There may not be many people who can wipe your eyes when you cry either.  It's hard to allow yourself to be vulnerable in front of others and you probably don't realise how you look in front of them either.

Old friend in our own sweet time
We'll say a good goodbye
All my life I know by now

The thing I love about life is about the sweet times that you have with people.  There will be people that come in and out of your life, because of new situations that you find yourself in and because they need to move on with their life so that they can grow, while you have some growing of your own to do.  It is important to find some closure in such things because otherwise regrets start to form and you think that you have left things incomplete and nothing is resolved.  Sometimes people don't know when to leave well enough alone, so we need to be sure that we consider everything in a more circumspect before reacting to silly people and their petty little games.

All these memories, too much to lose

No one ever leaves you
I don't need faith, I don't need truth
No one ever leaves you

I completely agree that nobody ever leaves you.  If people make a huge impression on your life, or make a huge imprint, then they will leave pieces of themselves behind and you can't help but think about how much better your life is for having known them.  If we don't need faith or truth from anyone, I usually think, in fact I more often than not feel, that this is because we don't need anything from someone.  We just need to "be" in the same space together.  Enjoy the stillness with people as much as you can.  Especially with people who know how to be still with you.



You'd say this is all there is
And every time you'd blink
You'd miss another piece of this wondrous world
All I'd ask is why you'd leave so soon
Everybody seems to
I don't need faith I just want you
No one ever leaves you

I've been spending a lot of time with teachers lately as part of the job.  Today I worked with a group of teachers who I've been keeping in contact with over 8 weeks in an online course.  Today they shared their strategic plan that they have worked on and listening to their new learning and reflections about their learning, I couldn't help but feel how much more wondrous the world is because I'm listening to teachers and school leaders discuss how they are committed to helping Pacific Island children achieve in their schools.

Those of us tasked with this privileged position of helping to support teachers to improve their practice, to provoke their thinking and to challenge the status quo - it makes me feel proud of what I'm doing not for myself, but for the generations of Pacific children in Aotearoa that will benefit from passionate educators who want to be their best for them.

Everybody raise a glass oh here's to a good goodbye
Everybody raise a glass oh here's to a good goodbye
Everybody raise a glass oh here's to a good goodbye
Oh, everybody raise a glass, oh

When significant people leave your life, it is important to wish them well and celebrate how much they have grown with you.  It is important to raise a glass to them and acknowledge an end to things as they are because what lies in front of you will change, you will change.  We may never realise why we need to have a good goodbye but when we do, it's because we will have stopped thinking about what we have lost, but instead, fully understand what we have gained.

All these memories too much to lose
No one ever leaves you
I don't need faith, I don't need truth
No one ever leaves you
I don't need faith, I just want proof. . . 

I hope that you think about those who leave your life and acknowledge that nothing stays the same over time.  We outgrow people, we outgrow places.  Some do it faster than others.  Some never realise until it's too late.  Some turn down new positions because of other priorities that are outside their realm of control.  For whatever reasons that we find ourselves making decisions based on what's either good for ourselves or for the greater good of others, you must be sure to have a good goodbye. . .