Thursday, 7 April 2016

Where you lead. . .

Wanting you the way I do
I only want to be with you
And I would go to the ends of the earth
'Cause darling to me that's what you're worth

I have had some people remind me recently that I am important and I am worth their time.  Sometimes it is difficult to hear, not because it isn't true or that it feels awkward, but because I didn't realise that people would feel about me that way.  Do people think about you that way?  That they would clear their schedules and just want to devote their time and energy to just being with you and being around you.  I think the older you get, the more you get to understand how to be around people's energy and know whether they are good to be around or not.

Where you lead, I will follow
Anywhere that you tell me to
If you need, you need me to be with you
I will follow where you lead

When you are required to lead, do people follow?  It might be disconcerting to think that you have been given an opportunity to lead, particularly when you don't really know the people who are following and you're not really sure about how it might feel to be a leader and have people follow you.  I'm not just talking about having as many followers as possible on Twitter, but in fact, when you are called to lead, are you prepared to have people follow you?  Do you trust yourself to know where you are meant to lead?

If you're out on the road
Feeling lonely and so cold
All you have to do is call my name
And I'll be there on the next train

I think it's important to know from the outset in your friendship, connection or relationship building phases with people, that you are able to show some vulnerability to develop trust.  Of course this can only happen when you innately gravitate towards people because they make you feel less lonely and cold.  If you have ever been a safe haven for someone else, hats off to you.  It takes a special type of person to be a lighthouse in that respect too, showing people how to avoid pitfalls or disasters in their lives, but only insofar as that when they do need to experience pitfalls or disasters, that you are there for them on the next train.



Where you lead, I will follow
Anywhere that you tell me to
If you need, you need me to be with you
I will follow where you lead

When you have been there for friends in difficult times and situations, do you know them well enough to know when to instinctively respond?  There can sometimes be a mismatch between people assuming they know someone quite well and then not really having to prove to people how well you know them.  It will always be good to be able to trust your friends or loved ones when they are able to listen you very carefully about how you like to be helped or supported.  There is nothing worse than assuming you know what's best - because you thought about yourself in that situation, rather than really listening or observing (I say observing here because sometimes our friends are not so great at articulating their feelings) so it is really left to us to be able to deal with it effectively - focusing on their needs and not ours.

I always wanted a real home with flowers on the window sill
But if you want to live in New York City, honey, you know I will
I never thought I could get satisfaction from just one man
But, if anyone could keep happy, you're the one who can

Where do we look to for satisfaction?  Are we able to find the right people who will satisfy all of our needs as human beings?  Do we find ourselves in places where we suddenly come to realise that we have been allocated or afforded these positions by people we least expected to be tied to?  That also comes with responsibility and some unexpected role that you don't feel comfortably playing.  Are you able to keep happy in the faces of others who can't?

Where you lead, I will follow
Anywhere that you tell me to
If you need, you need me to be with you
I will follow where you lead

I hope that when you need someone to be with you, that they will understand when you need them.  It can sometimes be hard to let people know when you need help or need them to follow you where you lead or guide them.  We need to be able to make it explicitly clear when we need to follow someone, particularly when they might find it hard to guide us to a destination that is unfamiliar or foreign to our more usual surroundings.  I hope that one day we will be able to follow people who make us believe in something greater or bigger than all of us, to make us want to believe in a place where all of our dreams come true, where we can be the best people we hope to be and that we will enjoy being who we are.  If there is a place like that, where you know you will gladly take me, I will follow where you lead. . .