Monday, 25 April 2016

Where are u now. . .

I need you (the) I need you
I need you (the) I need you
I need you, you, you, you, you, you. . . 

We all have varying degrees of when we need somebody.  Have you ever been put in a position where people need you and you don't want to be needed by them?  They seem to take your generosity for granted, assume that you will always be there for them.  I guess it's because you make yourself available at the drop of a hat, unbeknownst to them, you've dropped things and rearranged your schedule to make them a priority.  You don't need to do that so much anymore you know.  It's time to look after you now.

I gave you the key when the door wasn't open, just admit it
See, I gave you faith, turned your doubt into hoping, can't deny it
Now I'm all alone and my joys turned to moping 
Tell me, where are you now that I need you?
Where are you now?
Where are you now that I need you?
Couldn't find you anywhere
When you broke down I didn't leave you
I was by your side
So where are you now that I need you
Where are you now that I need you?

This is the danger of letting someone in.  You open yourself up to making connections with people who don't realise how much it took for you to open yourself up.  You might also be a really outgoing person (or appear to be) because you say all the right things when you are in your social circles, in fact, people may even go so far as to say that you are in your element.  Do you recognise how much you have grown because someone has believed in you?  You probably shouldn't expect a thank you or some sort of gesture that lets you know that you were responsible for their growth.  I think as you grow older, you become less concerned with how you have a hand in other people's growth.  Take Prince for example.  He did so much humanitarian work but the world didn't even realise how much he gave generously to others.  Even the beneficiaries of his good deeds were oblivious to the fact that it was due to Prince and his generosity that they were able to live more fuller enriching lives.  And the irony isn't lost on me talking about Minnesota's finest while using this Jack U, Skrillex and Diplo track featuring Justin Bieber.  

Where are you now that I need you?
Where are you now that I need you?
Where are you now that I need you?

Surround yourself with people who are able to tell you exactly what you need to hear, rather than what you want to hear.  I have some really good friends who have my best interests at heart and I also have other people who know to be close to me by association but don't quite yet know how to interpret what it means to be around me.  I don't mind that. just as I don't mind uncomfortable silences.  Are you always available to help others when they need you?  That makes you a fantastic loved one and a very good friend.  I don't know whether you can expect reciprocity in most cases, because in every connection, there is always someone who gives more than they take, and there is always someone who takes more than they give.  Are you a giver or a taker?



I gave you attention when nobody else was paying
I gave you the shirt off my back, what you saying?
To keep you warm
I showed you the game everybody else was playing, that's for sure
And I was on my knees when nobody else was praying, oh Lord

To be fair, it must be said that not all of your connections will be able to know whether you need them or not.  And this is because they don't actually know you that well or they haven't really been listening to you for as long as they've known you.  There is nothing worse than people who think they know you from your past - they know a part of you that has evolved, a portion of you that is not quite the same because you've matured, you've grown and become better than what you used to be - at least that's the progression that we are all expecting to have in our lives as time goes by.  You forget to show how vulnerable you can be, but once you trust a connection to reveal that side of yourself - they might not be equipped to handle it, so you must pack yourself away, never to speak of things of that nature again and instead wait for some new connection who may know how to embrace you in all of your humanity and fallibility.  Nobody is perfect right?

Where are you now that I need you?

Where are you now that I need you?
Where are you now that I need you?

I hope that you are able to ask yourself this question.  Are you able to locate yourself in your own life, so that you can truly start living.  You should be able to rely on yourself and not on others.  The biggest disappointment can come from putting all of your eggs into one basket, or other people's baskets for that matter.  You should be able to know what you look like in your deepest and darkest moments so that you understand what rock bottom looks like, and how to get yourself out of that situation.  You shouldn't need to ask yourself this question when you look in the mirror, but sometimes it's a good reminder for us not to lose ourselves in the drama of our own self importance and instead, focus on needing to keep a grip on yourself, when everyone else is busy trying to label you.  I can tell you, I know where I am when I need me :-)