Monday, 11 April 2016

Repeat offender. . .

Welcome to the jungle, a thousand spiders
Things could go in your favour, turn around and bite you in the ass
Don't it make you wanna cry?
Kiss your mama say goodbye bye bye bye
Ain't no way I'm gonna stay
You wonder why I don't pay?

Talking to my Māori friends, I have always been extremely conscious of the fact that even though I'm born in Aotearoa, I can't really call it home.  Like Māori, Samoans also have spiritual connections to their land and I feel that too, a similar sensation,  every time I return to Samoa for family reasons.  It always feels like home because in my mind I have walked along those roads through the generations of my ancestors.  Sounds strange, but I feel it; something that can't be explained, it can only be felt.

Repeat repeat offender
Through the generations
Who who who the hell are we supposed to blame?
My people are the ones who suffer
I said repeat repeat offender
Through the generations
Ooh like zombies we conform to foreign laws
Society is the one to blame blame blame blame 

If people suffer, we are taught to believe that suffering must happen if we are to feel victory or experience some sense of triumph.  There will be some instances where we can easily lay blame to an offending party because the atrocities are so great that they can't be ignored.  How do we deal with the ramifications of that?  How do we hold them accountable for that?  The irony for me is that my parents probably wouldn't have moved here to Aotearoa as a result of migrant labour work in the 1970s, had there been no colonial presence of the New Zealand Administration in Samoa after the signing of the Berlin Treaty which divided up the colonial rule of Western Samoa to New Zealand and Eastern Samoa to America, renaming them American Samoa.  You probably wouldn't even be reading this blog post right now as I would still be in Samoa, or maybe I wouldn't even be born as my parents met as a result of working in the industrialized Apia in the late 1960s.  Does this mean that I have learned all of this English language, and the ways of the English people and her colonial powers so I can hold them accountable for the wrongdoings in my ancestral past?



This is a song for my people
Nga tangata whenua o Aotearoa
Kia tupato, please, kia tupato be careful
They will never understand 
the spiritual connections we have with our land
Money talks, our land walks
It's our children who miss out
Keep strong my people, keep strong, keep strong
He Māori, he Māori, he Māori ahau

As much as I have an empathy for all things Māori, I totally understand that it will not be enough because I wasn't born Māori.  That's just a conclusion I've come to and I haven't met a Māori yet who could contradict me.  I guess I would feel the same way about someone who would claim to have empathy for my people but wouldn't really know about them as they don't have any Samoan blood in them.  Part of me feels like it's an antiquated view to take but then another part of me just senses that it feels right.  When will money stop talking?  When will the land stop walking?  It's hard to know when things should be, as they should be.

Repeat repeat offender
Through the generations
Why don't you grow a brain
And then you'll come to see
This was not the path meant for me yeah

When you set out on a path, I don't think that whoever comes your way may have any intentions of including you in their journey, unless of course their express purpose is to take what isn't theirs.  When we cannot see where someone else is coming from, it is usually because our own motivations fill up our senses so much that we can see little else, but what we hold as being highly important and highly valuable in our eyes.  How would you respond if someone tells you that what you value isn't important?  That what you believe in makes you 'philosophically opposed' to what they believe in so they can't help you?  I would've thought that at least some mutual respect for having differences of opinion would be enough to have it sit right with you, but it isn't.  I guess your mind isn't as strong as mine then.  You can't grow a brain if there are no seeds that could be planted in the cavernous gaping hole of a head that you have.  I can't say I'm surprised - it's just the path that was meant for you I guess.

Ka whawhai tonu matou, mo ake, ake, ake  We will fight together forever 
Whatu ngarongaro he tangata toi tu te whenua  Man come and go, but the land stays forever
Ka whawhai tonu matou, mo ake, ake, ake. . .

I hope that you are strong enough to know when to stand up for the greater good of all rather than just for what would immediately benefit you.  I don't understand how we can lose our faith in humanity, but I guess it stems from not having faith in ourselves so that we know how to start believing in others.  Of course we cannot account for those who come into our lives and hope to take everything, to take it all for as much as they can, as much as they can get away with.  Will you fight forever?  How can we if we cannot fight together forever, as we can't endure as long as the land does, the land stays forever. . .