Monday, 18 April 2016

One last cry. . .

My shattered dreams and broken heart
Are mending on the shelf
I saw you holding hands
Standing close to someone else
Now I sit all alone
Wishing all my feelings was gone
I gave my best to you
Nothing for me to do
But have one last cry

When I think about all the times I have been a shoulder to cry on for my male friends who have experienced heartache over the years, I think I've lost count.  I guess it had something to do with the fact that I grew up with no sisters and only had brothers, so I was used to being the "boy whisperer."  How do you turn your feelings off when someone has moved on?  Because it's pretty obvious when they've moved on and started holding hands with someone else, unless of course you're at the unfortunate end of not being informed that your relationship is over.  I've seen those ones to over the years and that hasn't been pretty to watch.

One last cry
Before I leave it all behind
I gotta put you out of my mind this time
Stop living a lie
I guess I'm down to my last cry 

I think the most horrific one "end of a relationship" that I've witnessed, has been the time I had to pull one guy aside who was engaged to one of my friends and tell him their relationship was over - he was the last to know, as I knew that she had moved on with someone else.  I hated my friend for putting me in that awkward position.  She asked me to save her from that tricky situation, when he confronted her at a social gathering, and I had to put the guy out of his misery. Still, I didn't feel it was my place, but what could I do?  Even his friends asked me to step in and speak to him that night.




I was here
You were there
Guess we never could agree
While the sun shines on you
I need some love to rain on me
Still I sit all alone
Wishing all my feelings was gone
I gave my best to you
Nothing for me to do
But have one last cry

I think it's important to mourn for a love that is lost, particularly when a relationship has ended especially when the other person has fallen out of love with you.  Of course it can be painful when they clearly rip your heart out of your chest and have total disregard for your feelings and you realise, wow, did I even know that person?  What did I see in them?  But I say it's important to mourn because people will disappoint you - so rather than blame them for your shattered dreams and broken heart, you are meant to feel this pain, to understand how it feels when people can no longer be in love with you.

I know I gotta be strong
Cause round me life goes on and on
And on. . . 
And on. . . 

So what are the things that you are looking forward to?  When you have finished having your last cry, what will you start to do for yourself?  It is only natural to feel like you can't continue with life, but it does go on and if you choose not to move with life, it passes you by and you won't know how to engage with the world again.

I guess I'm down
I guess I'm down 
I guess I'm down
I guess I'm down
To my last cry. . . 

I hope that when you are down, that you won't stay down for long.  Sadness, sorrow, pain and loss are important to feel so that you know how you appreciate what you had and remember the beauty of what was.  But don't stay down long enough that you let your life be overtaken by a perpetual or perennial melancholy, just take a deep breath, and be done with your one last cry. . .