Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Interlude: Moving on. . .

Let 'em have their time
Sit back and let 'em shine
Let 'em rise and rise
Cause one day they're gonna fall

I'm not one to wish the demise of people, because I think that they normally get their comeuppance, particularly if they have wronged you all, in due time.  There will also be people that you come across in your life who will continually take from you (or attempt to, if you let them).  But I think you only allow people to control you, or to have power over you if you allow them control you.  I don't understand why people would think that profiting from other people's misfortunes or mistakes would be a useful exercise, but it does say a lot about the type of person they are.

Let 'em soak in the sun
Sit back and let 'em have their fun
Let 'em spill their guts
Cause one day they're gonna slip on 'em

Have you had people laugh at your expense?  I remember my Latin teacher from high school taught us about schadenfraude.  It translates as when someone derives pleasure when bad things happen to someone else.  I guess it's human nature when someone has wronged you or caused you harm, that you would naturally derive pleasure when bad things happen to them.  But what is it called when someone derives pleasure when bad things happen to you - but you didn't do anything to them?  That's when it moves from schadenfraude to sadism.  When you display sadistic behaviour, it's when you derive pleasure from inflicting pain, suffering or humiliation on others.  If you know someone who does this to you - why would you stay connected with them right?  


Well I could be angry
But you're not worth the fight
And besides I'm moving on

I've seen too many times what happens when people try to exact revenge on other people.  Sometimes it's misguided, sometimes it's well justified (Kill Bill springs to mind and yes, Black Mamba is well justified in seeking revenge on those who almost ended her life).  But I think rather than be angry with people who choose to hurt you and try to control your life, it's time to move on and accept that you cannot dissuade them from their sadism, because that's not your cross to bear, that's theirs - whether of course they can see it as a burden to bear - it's most definitely not yours to bear.  



Let 'em play their songs
Let 'em say what's right and wrong
Let 'em do their thing
Cause they'll never be you and me

I have been grateful for friends and loved ones who continue to amaze me with their unconditional love.  I have had friends who have been always said the most profound things at the most opportune times and my heart has always been full of their good intentions and care for me that I have not felt in such a long time.  Being a musical person, it is very easy to hear other people play their songs and try to distract me from the focus that I must have on myself, rather their dramas and pressures that they continue to impose upon me.  I have accepted that I will always attract challenges and trials that continue to test and push me, because these are only what God has in store for me - to prepare me for every phase that has been preordained since before I was a twinkle in my mother's eye.

We got our own style
We got a way of livin' life
If they can't get down
Well we don't need them around

Life is too short to try and conform to people, situations and pathways that don't celebrate who you are or celebrate what you bring to the world.  Why would you continue to associate yourself with bad people, or allow yourself to be put in situations where you can't extricate yourself from harm's way and follow the path less traveled?  This is why you need to bring your own style, live your life your own way without fear of losing that life because people threaten to end what you have already created for yourself and those you love around you.  Having those types of people around, allowing them to even breathe the same air is you when they are ones who would steal your own air without question, without skipping a heartbeat - do something about it.

I've counted to ten
And I'm feeling alright
And besides I'm moving
Yes I'm moving
Besides I'm moving on. . . 

I hope that you continue to learn how to disassociate yourself from people and situations that threaten to throw you off course.  You might even think at some point that you are some kind of victim, but I don't think you need to employ that victim mentality.  I have been a victim before - but I don't need to be, and neither do you.  I have learned that you can only become a victim because people can sense they can manipulate you.  When you start to ignore people and their behaviour, when you start to continue to live your own life and live your life on your own terms, pretty soon, they will be the ones that will need to start counting to ten and realise that while they have been waiting for you to come around, you're actually feeling alright and you're moving on.