Saturday, 12 March 2016

When we were young. . .

Everybody loves the things you do
From the way you talk
To the way you move
Everybody here is watching you
Cause you feel like home
You're like a dream come true

When you return home, do you feel like you're actually coming home?  There will be people that follow your every movement, your every appearance and wonder what you're doing and how things are panning out and whether you still resemble the hometown spirit that you seemed to exude as a child with everybody else.  I guess this must be how celebrities feel when they return home, do they remember where they've come from?  Their humble beginnings before they got a big break?  Do you think about your past and how you used to be back then?

But if by chance you're here alone
Can I have a moment?
Before I go?
'Cause I've been by myself all night long
Hoping you're someone I used to know

If I reflect I can recall some moments when I've come across someone from my childhood who I shared many wonderful memories of learning together, and those memories make me smile and keep me entertained when I am alone.  We can often reach out to people in our past to remind us about how good they made us feel, to remind us about happier or simpler times before things got too complicated and we can't seem to make any head or tail about how seemingly complicated our life has become.  All we have to hold onto in that instance is hope, the hope that time doesn't change people too much that they don't see you as an embarrassment or a symbol of when they thought they were a nobody.

You look like a movie
You sound like a song
My God
This reminds me, of when we were young

Have you been enthralled by someone in your past?  That moment when you realised that you were enchanted by someone or maybe people were enchanted by you?  It can be hard to hear sometimes when you come across someone from your past and they can recall what you were like when you were young, when you were young together.  They can either recall your immaturity and signal times that you would love to forget, or they can recall times when you displayed great strength and character that you associate with yourself now and you think wow, I was like that even back then.  I always think it's important to connect with people from your past so that you can see how much you have grown, you can see how much they have grown, and whether you can continue this connection so that you can grow together.


Let me photograph you in this light
In case it is the last time
That we might be exactly like we were
Before we realised
We were sad of getting old
It made us restless
It was just like a movie
It was just like a song

I hate those moments when you approach somebody from your past and they pretend not to know you.  I don't think you should be mad about it though.  People's priorities have changed.  You might have changed a lot when you were at grade school.  I think about a famous example on social media when a sentencing judge in America was addressing an prisoner and she recognised him from when they were in school together.  He broke down in the court and cried.  I think when we grow up we forget about all of the dreams that we had as children.  We let life wash over us and mix us up with some interesting if not completely out-of-whack situations that can break us or make us.

I was so scared to face my fears
'Cause nobody told me that you'd be here
And I swore you moved overseas
That's what you said, when you left me

I hope that you aren't scared to face your fears.  The thing about being afraid is that it eats away at you if you let it, like it's some kind of tissue eating disease that can threaten to consume you (literally) from the inside out.  There will be that initial shock of seeing someone from your past though, particularly when you have had no warning, you might have parted on bad terms and things were awkward then and now you see each other in the flesh again and you don't know what to say or do.  How would you break the ice again?  Is it worth breaking that ice?  Would you leave well enough alone?

It's hard to win me back 
Everything just takes me back
To when you were there
To when you were there
And a part of me keeps holding on
Just in case it hasn't gone
I guess I care
Do you still care?

I have found that the secret to happiness in life is to remember times when you were happy and use the feelings of happiness from those times, and transfer this into your current life situation.  We have this nasty habit as humans to not be content or satisfied with our lives, because we always want something more or something better.  The secret to happiness is to well, just be happy.  Choose happiness above all else and if you are in the hardest and most turbulent part of your life right now, hang on to hope that you will get through.

Let me photograph you in this light
In case it is the last time
That we might be exactly like we were
Before we realised
We were sad of getting old
It made us restless
I'm so mad we're getting old
It makes me reckless
It was just like a movie
It was just like a song
When we were young

I am a firm believer that we are in stages of turmoil because we are meant to learn lessons from these difficult and challenging times.  Even though it hurts and we assume that things get worse as we get older, but need not worry about being restless or act out by being reckless because we think we are losing our youth, we are in fact coming into our own and becoming who we were born to be, signalled by all of the happy times we experienced, signalled by the good times now and what's around the corner transferred from the feelgood days of when we were young. . .