Saturday, 26 March 2016

Feel good. . .

I don't know if it's because it's Easter Sunday here in Aotearoa and we're celebrating the resurrection of Jesus our Lord and Saviour, but I feel good about myself.  There will be times in your life where you don't feel good about yourself because of some bad decisions you've made, you've exercised poor judgement and there might be repercussions for that, but those don't define who you are - in fact, those are just part of the many moments that you will have in your life - but they don't encapsulate the essence of you and what you bring to the world.

I just wanna feel good everyday
I wanna wear a smile upon my face
I wanna feel the joys of the day
I wanna feel alive in every moment
Said I won't waste time on feeling blue
I won't waste time on things I cannot change
I'm gonna live these days as best as I can
Doing everything that feels right

There might be people who have set out to exploit you and make you feel like you're not even in control of your own life anymore, but you know what, you have the power to say no.  You can stand up for yourself and say you no what?  I'm done feeling bad about myself because you think that's how I should feel.  We too, like Jesus, can resurrect ourselves and rise above what people think we should be, rise above our own insecurities and doubts that have been planted by people who want to use us and make us do what they want.  It's not about them anymore.  Unfortunately in some cases, we might not be able to change those people, and it's not because we can't change them - but rather they see nothing wrong what they're doing and they're quite happy to keep doing what they're doing, to benefit from your misfortunes.

Singing la la la la la
La la la la la lalala la
La la la la la lalala la
La la la la la lalala la. . . . 

In previous blog posts I've sometimes been critical of songs that have nonsense syllables peppered throughout the songs, but you know what, in this song, it just feels good.  Are you going through a period of transition?  They say the only thing that's constant these days is change - but I would rather that I change not just for change's sake, but because I'm changing to be better than I was before.  I think this is opportunity that I present to myself when I have those chances to change - it's because I've recognised that there is something within me that is evolving, that will affect me in a positive way and I must allow the transformation to take its course - it's something I can't control, but nor would I want to, because I'm just becoming a better version of myself.



I wanna hear the laughter of a child
I wanna feel the hug from a loving friend
I wanna hear "I love you" every now and then
I wanna show somebody that I care
Cause feeling good is a choice that we all make
Just like a smile is a small effort you make
I love to feel the newness of a brand new day
Happy to be alive today

It is natural to want to surround yourself with things that make you feel good - heck, it's pretty super important in my book.  Too often we can allow, yes I say allow because we can ultimately do so much within our lives - whether we're willing to work for it or not - so we need to just go ahead and make things happen.  There are just times where you have to dig your heels in and tap that steely determination that you hide within yourself that's a little bit rusty and out-of-use because you haven't really exercised it in a while.  But that's ok.  You've got a chance to work on it now and start putting in the hard yards now to get everything to fruition the way you had always planned but seemed to take yourself off course somehow.

Singing la la la la la
La la la la la lalala la
La la la la la lalala la
La la la la la lalala la

I hope that if you aren't feeling good in you life right now, that you start to take some steps to remember what feeling good is like.  I don't think everyone can understand what you go through on a daily basis that would cause you pain, guilt and the ability to not feel good about you being in this world would be.  What is one person's joy may be another person's pain, because how we feel can impact on others without us fully realising it or never being able to understand how interconnected we actually are.

If feeling good is a choice that we can all make, it does start small and the less we feel that our own self worth or just the simple amazing way we feel about ourselves can be captured within our minds and souls and more importantly our hearts, then I know then that we are headed in the right direction to just let go of all pain and insecurities, minimise the scale of the trials and troubles that may lay ahead and just for now, be present in the moment and just feel good. . .