Monday, 1 February 2016

Written in the stars. . .

I am here to tell you we can never meet again
Simple really, isn't it, a word or two and then
A lifetime of not knowing, how or why or when
You think of me or speak of me or wonder what befell
That someone you once loved so long ago, so well

Do you often think about how you ended things in a relationship?  It can be traumatic for some people while for others it's just another ordinary day and they wake up the next morning as if nothing happened.  It is easy to reminisce about people from your past relationships when you are confronted with significant change that looms in your own life.  You tend to transport yourself back in time in an effort to reassure yourself that you've come a long way and to recognise how much you have grown, particularly when you have outgrown people and come across new people who can meet the challenges head on that you face.  I'm a firm believer in that - you are always bound to meet the right people at the right time who will take you into the next phase of where you need to be.

Never wonder what I'll feel as living shuffles by
You don't have to ask me and I need not reply
Every moment of my life from now until I die
I will think or dream of you and fail to understand
How a perfect love can be confounded out of hand

If we let ourselves, we can start to sink into the past and stay there for a while, trying to figure out what went wrong.  We believe that because we are older and have learned more of life's lessons that our current selves can help to fix the mistakes of our past.  But this is not the case.  We aren't meant to go back and fix those mistakes.  We were meant to make those mistakes with the people we made them with, so that we know not to make those same mistakes again.


Is it written in the stars
Are we paying for some crime
Is that all that we are good for?
Just a stretch in mortal time
Is this God's experiment
In which we have no say
In which we're given paradise
but only for a day

If you find yourself committing those same mistakes over and over again, it's because you haven't learned the life lessons you were meant to.  It's like when we were at school and the teacher forced us to go over the same problems over and over until we were able to solve them ourselves, without their help.  Once we become self sufficient we are able to pass on these problem solving skills to those who seek to elicit them from us.  Would you like to have known paradise if you were only going to know it for a day or not at all?  I think I would die happy knowing that I would have known paradise for a day rather than not at all.  I mean, I wouldn't know what it felt like on earth before I left it right?
Nothing can be altered, oh, there is nothing to decide
No escape, no change of heart, no any place to hide
You are all I'll ever want but this I am denyin'
Sometimes in my darkest thoughts I wish I never learned
What it is to be in love and have that love returned

I hope that if you love in this life and have it returned, only to have it snatched away, I would be glad that you would have known how that felt.  This is the case with mortal time - we only experience these fleeting moments on a temporal plane and we need not look at these days with regret or pain, but instead be grateful for those sepia tinted moments with people that were guided towards us, to show us exactly what we needed to learn at that time, to lead us to where we are today.  So don't dwell in the past so much that you forget to enjoy the present.  The future will take of itself if you take care of what you can control - the here and now.  I guess I've learned to slow down and reflect on what's important in my own life, prioritising connections and collaborations with people who feed my soul.  To some extent we don't have a say in what we are meant to live out only because what we are meant to have achieved in this life has been predetermined since the moment we were born.  I guess you could say it was written in the stars. . .