Wednesday, 3 February 2016

Welcome back. . .

I was a fan of the show Welcome back Kotter, but only in reruns as I was a toddler when it was nearing the end of its four seasons on air.  The premise of a teacher working with the lowest ability class in the school was a great context for comedy and it reminded me often of my own episodes of similar themes when I was a music teacher but with mixed ability classes right across high school.

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about
Well the names have all changed since you hung around
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around

It's the beginning of the school year in Aotearoa New Zealand.  The television screens have been saturated with back to school specials for parents and more toys than ever.  This song reminds me of teachers I used to know when I was teaching who wanted to leave the profession to pursue their passions or just wanted to leave behind the intense workload.  





Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (back here where we need ya)

It's hard when you try to leave a place but you know you can't and there could be a whole host of reasons for why - timing isn't right, it doesn't feel like the right time to leave, better the devil you know than the devil you don't and just the lack of opportunities even that would even begin to whet your appetite for career adventures.  Think about the job that you are currently in right now - are you exactly where you need to be?  Do you feel like you're not being valued or you're not doing the work that you thought you signed up for?

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've got him on the spot, welcome back

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back . . . 

I guess you could try to do something about your situation.  If you want to be able to avoid the usual pangs of angst that flood over you each time you approach the front doors of your workplace or if you work virtually, that feeling of dread when you connect with people online.  

We should be working in places where we are always made to feel welcome, somewhere where you are always happy to return to and come back to, a place that you always say you will never miss, but when you come back to it you think, ah yes. this is why I'm in this job, this is why I chose this career and why I can live my passion in this job. 

If you're nowhere near feeling satisfied, content, remotely welcomed in not just your job, but any other area of your life - get up and change it.  You have the power to do that, nobody else.  I know this life has restrictions and barriers, but we don't need to buy into it.  I'm living a much happier life without self imposed barriers and excuses that don't have any legs.  How are you going to play out your year?  New Year's resolutions, we should've welcomed in new attitudes that will sustain us throughout the entire year.  So think about the best that you have to offer, the best of you who you are, because that's the person I would like to see and welcome back, welcome back, welcome back. . .