Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Dancing in the moonlight. . .

We get it almost every night
When that moon is big and bright
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

I remember this track when it was released.  I was at university (college) for the first time and I remember thinking it was a fun party song for people to dance to.  My friends would go to a milk bar (now called a lounge I believe) and put coins into a jukebox there and study while listening to music.  It's funny when I think about it now because it felt like it was important then to 'make a statement' by putting 'the right songs' on the jukebox.  It was pretty high stakes back then to publicly announce to people in such a way, what types of songs or genres your musical taste entailed.

Everybody here is out of sight
They don't bark and they don't bite
They keep things loose, they keep it tight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

Of course while standing at the jukebox trying to select your songs, there would always be guys that would use the opportunity to approach you and try to make conversation.  This kind of effort on the part of the opposite sex was often lost on me because 1) I attended an all-girls high school so wasn't really clued up to the social cues of potential heterosexual mating rituals and 2) I was all about the music, so approach me at your peril when I was in serious connoisseur mode selecting the appropriate songs for the mood my friends and I were in to fit our social context.



Dancing in the moonlight
Everybody's feeling warm and bright
It's such a fine and natural sight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

Pretty soon I would hear this song pop up at all other social gatherings I attended with my friends and yes, as cliche as it might sound, you soon lost yourself in the music, lost yourself in the moon, because you gave yourself up to the moment of release, dancing with everybody else and having a good time.  I think as we get older, we lose sight of such moments, of such times as we grapple with adult responsibility and forgetting what it means to be warm and bright in a world that often greets us with cold and dull situations.

We like our fun and we never fight
You can't dance stay uptight
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody was dancing in the moonlight

When was the last time you really danced?  I mean like really let yourself go, danced around the house in every single room, wearing-whatever-you-liked type of dancing?  I highly recommend that we dance in the moonlight as often as we can, with whomever we can, because pretty soon we may find ourselves in places and spaces where all we will have is the moonlight and nobody to share it with.

We get it on most every night 
And when that moon is big and bright
That's a supernatural delight
Everybody was dancing in the moonlight. . . 

I hope that you take opportunities to remember what moonlight feels like, and most importantly dancing in the moonlight with people who you value and who value you.  I think we can often forget the danger of not creating more moments of delight in our lives.  Why wait for other people to come along and create those moments for you?  You need to immerse yourself in new situations that cause you to feel uncomfortable as it will most likely lead you to people you will connect with and develop relationships that even though you struggle to comprehend it in its entirety now, but just fully appreciate and celebrate it for the supernatural delight that it is.  So here's to moments with you and dancing in the moonlight. . .