Saturday, 2 January 2016

(There's) always something there to remind me. . .

This blog post is dedicated to those of you who are having trouble letting go of their past. . . 

The beginning of a new year brings with it memories of days gone by and especially if you are recently single and thinking about how your life will pan out this year without your significant other.  I guess this blog post is for you, to help you see things in a way so that some healing can set in, rather than fixate on the loss of a relationship, but more along the lines of, what you needed to learn from being in that relationship, to carry forward into future or prospective relationships.

I walk along the city streets you used to walk along with me
And every step I take recalls how much in love we used to be
Oh how can I forget you?
When there is always something there to remind me?
Always something there to remind me
I was born to love you and I will never be free
You'll always be a part of me

When relationships end, it will be inevitable that you will come across familiar streets where you walked together, because everyone knows that taking a walk is really an excuse to be with someone, walking from one place to another, so the walk is all about the conversation of getting to know each other or doing something that isn't as threatening as making out (especially if you hadn't made out up to that point) so it's a good neutral zone to enter.  I think about each step that you would take and you would look at certain places along those streets and capture photos with your eyes about how you looked together, especially if you're looking in the reflections of shop windows that you walk past.  It's ok to look into those shop windows and smile at those reflections of memories past.


When shadows fall I pass a small cafe where we would dance at night
And I can't help recalling how it felt to kiss and hold you tight
Oh how can I forget you?
When there is always something there to remind me?
Always something there to remind me?
I was born to love you and I will never be free
You'll always be a part of me

Do you remember dates that you've been on?  You will remember the fun activities that you did together, such as dancing like the song discusses, otherwise you might have discovered some new interests together that now you find just doesn't seem right to do anymore without them.  You might also be missing the physical nature of the relationship that you had, because there is nothing that you have experienced since, so the memories of the physicality is all you have.  I guess you can only let yourself be free of those memories, especially if they make you feel bad about the loss, if you want to, if you choose your own happiness, as opposed to the sadness from the past.  Have you been able to find ways to free yourself from your self imposed prison?  You just need to remember that you don't need to forget about them, you just need to remember that the relationship is over, it's time for you to heal and focus on other things to summon or attract happiness to you again; but that process can only begin, from within.

If you should find you miss the sweet and tender love we used to share
Just come back to the places where we used to go 
And I'll be there
Oh how can I forget you?
When there is always something there to remind me?
Always something there to remind me?
I was born to love you and I will never be free
You'll always be a part of me. . . 

I hope that you are able to see those same places in a new light, far far far away, from the darkness that you now associate it with - the darkness of what you would've called a failed relationship, but seeing the lessons emerge from those shadows.  What do you do if they want to rekindle the relationship?  Well that is totally up to you and what you want to do.  I think you just need to focus on the fact that before you think that you were born to love someone else, you were actually born to love you - yes that's right - love you first, so that you can actually see how really free you really are :-)