Sunday, 31 January 2016

Stuck in the middle with you. . .

I know we're nearing the end of the first month of the year.  The celebrations of New Year's will have worn off by now, you've packed the Christmas decorations away, and everybody is all back at work ready to put those New Year's resolutions into play.  At least that's what we think we're doing.  Sometimes we find that we will self sabotage our own new beginnings of good intentions and carefully laid out plans with negative thoughts, procrastination and lack of self belief.  For the most part we might be surrounded by some negative influences in the shape of undesirable people in your life. 

Well I don't know why I came here tonight
I got the feeling that something ain't right
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right here I am
Stuck in the middle with you

I've talked a lot in previous blog posts about the importance of relying on your gut instinct, to embrace your feelings and your intuition when it comes to foreign situations.  For those who like to think a lot and plan each move down to the last detail, you can still do this, but sometimes thinking requires more time than the actual response time you are given.  So what can you do in situations like that?  Do you go ahead and practice how you will respond to improve your fast response time, so that you are able to give as good as you get?  Are we conscious enough about the clowns and jokers that seem to surround us, because we only seem to notice these types of people around us only when we sense imminent danger.

Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you
And I'm wondering what it is I should do
It's so hard to keep the smile off my face
Losing control, yeah I'm all over the place
Clowns to left of me, jokers to the right here I am
Stuck in the middle with you

I can't help but imagine the smile on your face to be a wry smile.  Who would you be happy to stuck in the middle of a situation with?  Would you hope to be stuck with someone that knows how to extricate themselves from such situations?  I have often been the person that people like to be stuck with because they can feel that they can lose control and be all over the place while I'm left to be the one to deal with the clowns and jokers that surround us.  I'm not complaining, I guess I'm just used to this type of role.  I guess just because I'm good at it, doesn't necessarily mean that I like doing it.


Well you started out with nothing
And you're proud that you're a self made man
And your friends they come a crawlin'
Slap you on the back and say
Please. . . . please. . . . 

Be very careful about people who try to steal your time and ask you silly questions in the effort that they want to know things about you, only to hurt you later on.  Are you someone who is easily flattered?  There's something to be said for someone who is easily flattered - only fools believe in the fake praise by others.  I guess it goes back to the notion of respecting the opinions of those who are actually qualified to criticise you for anything based on their own expertise in your area or because they have lead by example or have relevant life experience that you could possibly learn from.  

Trying to make sense of it all
But I can see it makes no sense at all
Is it cool to go to sleep on the floor
'Cause I don't think I can take anymore
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right here I am
Stuck in the middle with you

I recently posted on Twitter that I think of myself as a #SenseMaker, someone who is constantly trying to make sense of people who create nonsense or someone who is a #NonsenseMaker.  Which one are you?  It can be easy to be a nonsense maker - create problems for other people to solve, instigate some drama that is unnecessary because that's what they do for kicks and entertainment.

I hope that wherever you find yourself stuck in a situation, that you become the person that other don't mind being stuck in the middle with you. . .