Sunday, 3 January 2016

Silly love songs. . .

I've been writing a lot about love in recent months and I have often told my friends that I write about what I feel around, not always about myself.  You could be forgiven for thinking that writing about love songs is silly.  I think it's because what we are bombarded with, particularly with days like Valentine's Day when commerce says that's an appropriate time to show your love - we don't need to conform.  Do you think love songs are silly?  Do you get annoyed when you hear them played on the radio?  Or is it because something has happened to colour your perception of love songs?

You'd think that people would've have had enough of silly love songs
I look around me and I see it isn't so
Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs
And what's wrong with that
I'd like to know
'Cause here I go again
I love you I love you
I love you I love you

A friend of mine told me that John Lennon criticised Paul McCartney for writing silly love songs, hence this track coming to love.  I think constructive criticism from your friends is a very healthy thing - I'm not particularly partial to people giving me advice for things when their opinions are not informed by any experience or credible source.


I can't explain, the feeling's plain to me; can't you see?
Ah, she gave me more, she gave it all to me now can't you see?
What's wrong with that?
I need to know
'Cause here I go again
I love you I love you

The bass line in this song is pretty funky.  I'm sure bass players love performing songs where they get to explore a bit more around the fret rather than just playing crotchets or semibreves.  Have you been in a situation where you've been criticised for someone giving you all their love and they didn't receive the same?  I think we need to remember that you can't control how other people feel about others and how they feel about you.  It's a losing battle that nobody wins.  It's not even a battle that I would engage in because it's futile.  I already know who wins.  It's not the person with issues.

Love doesn't come in a minute
Sometimes it doesn't come at all
I only know that when I'm in it
It isn't silly, love isn't silly, love isn't silly at all

Love is a very emotional thing.  Some people are scared to engage in it, I mean if love was a pool, there are some people who don't even want to get their toes wet, would rather get some head gear or floaters for some protection or those who are gung ho, would just dive into the pool and enjoy the intensity.  I think when you are in the throes of love, you won't be thinking anymore - instead you will be too busy being in love, loving who you're with and if you're smart enough - noticing some little changes about how you care and love others, because you have elevated someone else to a significant position in your life.  This is why love isn't silly - it's something you are meant to feel.  And even if it doesn't come at all - as long as you're happy being yourself, that's all that matters.

How can I tell you about my loved one?
How can I tell you about my loved one?
"I love you" / "How can I tell you about my loved one"
"I love you" / "How can I tell you about my loved one"

The later stages of the song remind me of the complexities of love - how when we are in the thick of the mix, when your significant other is telling you how much you mean to them, and then you're trying to tell them how much they mean to you - it may sound confusing but even though the different layers thicken the texture, everything works out quite harmoniously.  Is this what falling in love sounds like to you?  I think this song captures the musicality of falling in love quite well in this respect.  I mean what's wrong with that?. . .