Wednesday, 13 January 2016

Our day will come. . .

I’ve spent the past week in my ancestral homeland and I’ve deliberately taken myself off the grid.  I didn’t take a cellphone with me, but I did manage to catch up with some friends when I was there so I was happy I got a chance to do that.  The main purpose of my visit to Samoa was to attend a title investiture ceremony where I was bestowed the high chief title from my father’s village Fasito’o-uta in Upolu – Aiono Su’amamatai’a.  The prime minister of Samoa attended the ceremony and he shares the same title that I hold (as well as other titles from six other villages).  I have deliberately chosen this Amy Winehouse rendition because the reggae slant reminds me of the reggae music I heard blasting around Upolu as I travelled around.  

Our day will come (our day will come)
And we’ll have everything
We’ll share the joy (we’ll share the joy)
For letting love embrace
Noone can tell me that I’m too young to know
I love you so, and you love me

People have said I’ve been too young to know anything my entire life.  I knew I was a precocious child because of people’s reactions to me.  Age has never been a factor to hold me back from my deep love of learning, of listening to people older than me with meaningful knowledge and stories of my ancestral past or of the world in general because I valued the fact that our collective history can teach us a lot about ourselves and how we can see into the future.



Our day will come
If we just wait a while
No tears for us, think love and wear a smile
Our dreams have magic because we’ll always stay in love this way
Our day will come

Instrumental interlude

I was one of a few people from the fifth generation of our family who received a title.  To be honest, I was quite reluctant to receive a title, because I understand the enormity of the responsibility, as if the mantle of responsibility I currently hold in my extended family wasn’t large enough, but now to seven other branches of my full extended family is another undertaking. 

It has been a long time coming, in terms of our full extended family being able to have access to our birthright, because of circumstances beyond our control, but the honour cannot be diminished either.  You receive a title because you serve your family and your service has warranted the gift of receiving a title.  For all future occasions such as weddings, funerals and any other larger family gatherings that require my service and attendance, it is part of my duty and obligation to fulfill.

Our days have magic because we’ll always stay in love this way
Our day will come
Our day will come
Our day will come
Our day will come
Our day will come

Since having this experience, I know that my days spent visiting Samoa again will forever be irrevocably linked to my new status that comes with responsibility, humility and diligence.  My paternal grandmother would be extremely proud, as it is through her lineage that our family have had access to this title and I am also her namesake. Thanks to my father, her son, our day has finally come J