Sunday, 17 January 2016

No more lonely nights. . .

This song is quite epic in the sense that it has a bit of everything.  It has an instrumental solo during the course of the song, the ending is quite different in comparison to other songs of its time because the variation of the lyrics in itself are also accompanied with an almost continuation of an extended guitar solo at the end.

I can't wait another day, until I call you
You've only got my heart on a string and everything aflutter
But another lonely night might take forever
We've only got each other to blame
It's all the same to me love
'Cause I know what I feel to be right

I love Paul McCartney's way with words but also the way in which he's such a melodic writer where he takes you on a journey with accurately placed background vocals that also answer his main melodic motif.  The last line of this first verse picks up with the rhythmic quaver pattern by the accompaniment that helps to drive the momentum of the song.  Have you ever trusted your feeling so much that you know that they have been right?

No more lonely nights
No more lonely nights
You're my guiding light
Day or night I'm always there

I guess you don't really notice how lonely your nights are until you become acquainted with someone who fills some kind of space in your life that you didn't know existed.  They could be a light that helps to shine on other things that help you become quite happy in your life.  Who wouldn't want to be around you in that case?

May I never miss the thrill of being near you
And if it takes a couple of years
To turn your tears to laughter
I will do what I feel to be right

If you think that person is a guiding light, it is only natural that you would want to reciprocate and do something for them if it is at all within your power.  What if she isn't ready for you to turn her tears into laughter?  What if she doesn't want you to do that for her because she knows that you really can't?  But you would do what you feel is right anyway, because let's face it, nobody wants someone to be in pain and hurt if they could feel that they would be able to cheer them up or make them smile or laugh.



No more lonely nights (never be another)
No more lonely nights
You're my guiding light
Day or night I'm always there
And I won't go away until you tell me so
No, I'll never go away

Guitar solo

Have you ever told anybody to go away and leave you alone?  When you told them that, did they listen?  You could've told them to go away because you didn't want to be a burden to them, that you felt that they needed to be able to sort things out on their own without your help.  You probably told them to go away because you haven't had anybody try to be there for you day or night because you've never needed anyone in that way before, until they said that they would be.  There's nothing wrong with needing someone, especially if they are offering themselves to be needed by you.  I guess the communication lines just need to be clear so that feelings are spared or misunderstandings avoided.

Yes, I know (I know) what I feel (I feel) to be right (be right)
No more lonely nights (never be another)
No more lonely nights 
You're my guiding light
Day or night I'm always there

The descending arpeggio helps to add more to the texture of the chorus, because Paul ascends with the melody during the singing of "no more lonely nights"; contrary motion in a song never sounded so good.  Lyrically can you trust reassurances like that?  People are always scared to get hurt so they protect themselves by sending people away.  It's that age old mantra of hurt or get hurt.  I guess you won't know when to let go of your fear of getting hurt, until you open yourself up to getting hurt and learning from the pain.  You can't protect yourself in this way forever.  Sooner or later your self-imposed force field has to come down and you must experience what's really out there.

And I won't go away until you tell me so
No, I'll never go away
And I won't go away until you tell me so
No, I'll never go away. . . 

I hope that even if you told someone to go away, they would've known you well enough in your interactions with each other, that you didn't actually want them to leave you.  I wouldn't want to keep someone's heart on a string and keep them all aflutter if I wasn't prepared to reciprocate what they were feeling, I mean that isn't fair and as much as you would try to train yourself to love them the same way, you must be true to yourself first.  But you wouldn't need to tell me to go though, because I would already know when it was time to leave and I would know that you would cope with being alone because you would be secure enough in yourself to be able to withstand no more lonely nights. . .