Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Love will keep us alive. . .

Conversation series:  Second conversation with a friend

Another great artist has joined his compatriots in heaven this week.  The Eagles would not have existed without its co-founder Glenn Frey.  I've blogged about the band in previous blog posts (see Peaceful easy feeling, One of these nights, Take it to the limit, The new kid in town).  Even though Frey didn't write this song because it was written by the rest of the band well after he left, but it makes me think about what he represents for me as an artist and songwriter.  I will write a tribute post to him soon.

I was standing all alone against the world outside
You were searching for a place to hide
Lost and lonely now you've give me the will to survive
When we're hungry, love will keep us alive

I don't understand why you feel that you are all alone.  
You have great support networks in place for people to be able to help you, but you choose not to engage with people in this way.  Instead you hide yourself, your real self from people and only reveal your true self to me.  I don't understand why you think that I've given you this will to survive, but I hear it in your voice when we talk.  You are always grateful and you express this, but I know that sometimes what you say and what you feel don't always match up.  

Don't you worry, sometimes you've just gotta let it ride
The world is changing right before your eyes
No I've found you there's no more emptiness inside
When we're hungry, love will keep us alive

There is still self-loathing that you deal with on a daily basis.  I'm not sure whether it's easier to feel sorry for yourself than to actually deal with some real facts about what you do (or don't do).  I think it's because I know the real you, that I've listened to what you've had to say, this has been really easy to say.  Sometimes you gravitate towards who tell you what you want to hear, rather than what you need to hear.  I won't waste time telling you what you think you want, but rather what you should know to get to where you need to be.  


I would die for you, climb the highest mountain
Baby there's nothing I wouldn't do
Now I've found you, there's no more emptiness inside
When we're hungry, love will keep us alive

The emptiness that exists inside is only because we fail to see what we truly are.
The negative emotions or unpleasing traits that we hold onto, I often wonder - why do we retain these?  It is easy to do this when we are surrounded by people who continue to foster this or perpetuate its existence in our lives.  

I would die for you, climb the highest mountain
Baby there's nothing I wouldn't do

I think I've done enough in what I need to do with you, in terms of being a great support network for you.  It's funny because I'm always there in the background for people making sure that they are ok, but I have yet to meet someone who can do the same for me (and it's quite rare that I do, but when I do come across them, it's always exactly at the right time).  So I just hope that there's nothing that you wouldn't be able to do for yourself.

I was standing all alone against the world outside
You were searching for a place to hide
Lost and lonely now you've give me the will to survive
When we're hungry, love will keep us alive
When we're hungry, love will keep us alive
When we're hungry, love will keep us alive. . . 

I hope that I learn for myself to let go and know that you will be ok to carry on by yourself.
I have a habit of checking in on people to make sure that they're ok, because I feel that I need to do that.  It's funny because I'm such a good connector of people but sometimes I need to disconnect myself.  

So what am I saying here?  When you are hungry for a pathway that only you can be on and run alone, the only thing that will be able to keep you alive will not be the love of others, but in fact how strong you are capable of loving yourself enough to stay on the journey :-)