Sunday, 13 December 2015

You're the light. . .

This blog post is dedicated to my friends who shine their authentic light on me when I need it most
There is no YouTube clip of this track, so make sure you visit my Spotify playlist to have a listen :-)

For me, I need to have authentic friends who can tell me straight up what I need to hear, rather that what I want to hear.  I don't have many of these types of friends and I think it's because as transparent as many people think I am (with this blog included) there are still layers of complexities within me that I have not really allowed other people to explore.  It's not because I don't want them to, it's more because they won't understand what they will see and I don't have the inclination to explain.

You taught me a lot today
And I realise our friendship is good
You took the trouble to hear me
Now I owe you a favour times ten

Never forget about the friends that you have in your life right now, especially when you know their friendship is good.  I am grateful for the good friends that I have because it means that I must be a good friend to them in return, not because I have to be, but because I want to be.  I am grateful for the opportunity to be the friend that people rely on and to provide support where and when I can.

You're the light my friend just sit right here
And hold me tonight and I'll treat you right my dear

All you need to remember, even if I'm far away from you, just know that I will always be in your corner, supporting you, never judging you, always here for you when you need me the most.  I think it can be challenging sometimes for people to think about how available they can make themselves to others.  I think you need to be selective about who you choose to spend your time with in this way, not because there is reciprocity, but because when someone needs you in a way that only you can provide - then you know that you mean the world to them.

You have a good way with words

My problems are nothing to you you sort them through
I'm eager to learn from you your patience
And I'll pass my patience onto my family

You might not be a person who is easily swayed by the rhetoric but I think it's important to be able to listen to someone who can weave their words around you, make you see things about you that you are reluctant to see about yourself.  I think this is important because it is only through listening to these words that you can start to see whether what they have to say is mirrored or reflected in what your situation is, whether you respect them enough to allow them to understand you.  Do you allow yourself permission to learn from others?  How patient are you?  What kinds of patience do you hope to pass onto your family?

I don't know how much longer I will allow myself to keep fixing problems.  Most of the time these problems are not of my own doing, they are in fact other people's problems that I solve.  I don't solve problems because I want to, but because I'm good at solving problems.  But I guess it's always easier to solve problems that don't originate from you - it's always easier to solve problems that you aren't intimately involved with.  You're probably wondering - do you solve your own problems?  The answer is simple - I don't make a point of creating problems in the first instance, or at least I try to minimise and manage that as much as possible.  We need to be solutions-oriented, rather than all about the problems.

You're the light my friend just sit right here
And hold me tonight and I'll treat you right my dear

I hope that you find the true reciprocity of a friendship that can allow you and your friend to be as equally invested in each other, so that you have mutual benefits that focus on satisfaction that comes from mutual understanding, mutual respect and mutual love.

Treat others right.  It's the right thing to do.  If you can love yourself in the process, then what more could you do right?  It's the right thing to do.  Be the light, you're the light. . .  :-)