Monday, 28 December 2015

With a little help from my friends. . .

What would you do if I sang out of tune
Would you stand up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
And I'll try not to sing out of key

If you're a good singer or you're just plain good at something, how do you treat others who aren't so good at singing or something else that you're good at?  To be a supportive friend means that you can balance the "tell it like it is" with also being encouraging, because let's face it - you don't want to enable bad behaviours or give false hope, but you also want to be able to give constructive criticism or try to refer your friend to other people who could help them out.  I've been reflecting a lot these past few days as we draw to the end of 2015, and I don't think I have let any of my friends down.  I think I've let myself down a few times investing time and energy into people who I thought were my friends but quickly disappeared from view once they got what they wanted, and you know what - that's perfectly ok.  Because it tells me that I was able to help them with what they needed, what they wanted - I just hope that I can get help from people as instantly as I give it when I need it the most.

What do I do when my love is away
(Does it worry you to be alone)
How do I feel by the end of the day
(Are you sad because you're on your own?)

What does it mean to be on your own these days anyway?  With technology playing such a huge part in our lives, it seems much easier to connect with people more than ever - there's so many social media platforms that you can engage in, so many forums and websites to follow - the choices are endless for you to go ahead and search for things and people who have similar interests to you.

But at the end of the day, when you go to switch all of the technology off - or recharge it as the case may be, are you sad?  Why do you think you feel sad as opposed to being happy?  When did we lose the happiness in our lives?


(Would you believe in a love at first sight)
Yes I'm certain it happens all the time
(What do you see when you turn out the light?)
I can't tell you, but I know it's mine

Do you believe in love at first sight?  Love at first sight for yourself?  You can probably recall the first time you saw someone that would've made your heart skip a beat or made you gasp a little, because of the intensity of their stare when you locked eyes together or you weren't expecting that little frisson of excitement to ignite between you two.  Do you act on those little moments?  Do you take steps to make sure that the excitement plays out in a conversation?  I think you will have had countless moments like those ones and never acted on them.  So if it happens all the time, and it happens to you - why didn't you make more of it?  When you go home to turn out the lights, what is yours that you see?  Are we happy with what we see in the dark?  Why can't you tell me?  How do you know it's yours?

Do you need anybody?
I need somebody to love
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love

Everybody needs somebody to love - whether they know it or not, whether they acknowledge or accept or not, whether they want to talk about it or not.  We also need to remember that love comes in all types as I've stated in previous blog posts - because much is said about romantic and passionate love - the thing of fairytales and dramatic novels - but not much is said about the kind of love that isn't easily defined.  I'm talking about the type of love that hovers in unknown places, I mean it could even hover in the dark when you turn out the lights, so that's why you won't tell me - because you don't know how to identify what love you are seeing.

Oh I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm gonna try with a little help from my friends
Oh I get by with a little help from my friends
Yes I get by with a little help from my friends
With a little help from my friends. . . . 

I hope that you get by with a little help from your friends.  I am grateful and thankful for all of the friends that I have in my life who make my life what it is - an interesting and exciting source of inspiration for me in all that I do, friends who are there for me through the storms and the moments when I would rather be alone, but they just know how to "be" around me.  Thank you for giving me the little help that I needed, whenever I needed it.

I hope you never forget the ones who gave you a little help when you wanted it the most :-)