Tuesday, 22 December 2015

Will you still love me tomorrow. . .

This blog post is dedicated to my anonymous friend who requested this track ;-)

There have been many cover versions of this song by The Shirelles, one notable cover by Amy Winehouse but I prefer the original because I'm partial to vocal harmonies but I also like the faster tempo in the original which means you can dance along to it even though the song lyrics sing about an apprehensive woman who might possibly regret having given up her "goodies" to her lover.  

Tonight you're mine completely 
You give your love so sweetly
Tonight the light of love is in your eyes
But will you love me tomorrow?

Isn't this the question on every woman's lips?  Whether she made the right choice to give herself to someone because she thought if she didn't, he might not be interested in her again and make any sort of future plans to meet up with her again?  Where did we get this from?  Where did we start to believe this?  Because of how we let men treat us in the past?  This is something we need to remember ladies - we teach people how we want to be treated, and that includes men who may lust after you and say all of the right things for right now, but has no intention to make good on anything else once that love light in their eyes has faded with the morning light from outside.

Is this a lasting treasure
Or just a moment's pleasure?
Can I believe the magic of your sighs?
Will you still love me tomorrow?

I wonder how guys feel sometimes when women ask them such questions.  How truthful are you?  Do you tell her it's going to last and it's precious or it will only last until the sun comes up in the morning?  If we are taught to believe that moments are meant to be enjoyed and to be truly present in them, then we wouldn't worry about such things, but if we have been taught to believe in the romantic notions of the magic in those sighs - what can a girl do to protect herself from the inevitable heartbreak that will face her in the morning?


Tonight with words unspoken 
You say that I'm the only one
But will my heart be broken
When the night meets the morning star?

I'm not saying that you should allow yourself to get hurt, but how else are you meant to build your resilience and strengthen your own heart in the process?  I mean the heart is a muscle that needs to be exercised so that it can bounce back from any disappointments that it will encounter in its lifetime - and there will be many disappointments until we find places that will treasure it or find pleasure in it as well.  I smile to myself as I think that he is the night and you are the morning star - because he likes to stay around in the darkness while you want to bring him out into the light.  Is it so hard to transition between time and space in this way?  I guess it depends on whether he wants to be able to meet you halfway, to follow your lead since you seem more confident and more sure of your heart than he is.

I'd like to know that your love
Is love I can be sure of
So tell me now, and I won't ask again
Will you still love me tomorrow?

Well girl, all I can tell you is that, you have to be patient and possibly kiss a whole lot of frogs before you get to your Prince Charming, and that might not necessarily be a bad thing.  It can be fun to kiss frogs, you get to laugh at yourself kissing them and who knows, some of those frogs might surprise you.  One thing we all know about love is that we can never be sure of it - no love is ever the same and no love is ever going to behave the way we want it to - it's not meant to be that way either.  The only thing that we know for sure about love, is that whatever it looks like, regardless of whether we can count on it or not - we will always wonder, will you still love me tomorrow.

So tell me now, and I won't ask again
Will you still love me tomorrow?

You say you won't ask again, but you always ask it, every time.
But you know what the cool thing will be; one day you won't need to ask this question anymore.
Because you will meet someone who will not only love you tomorrow, you will wake up to him every morning.  I truly believe that.

So don't forget to invite me to the wedding; I don't know when it will happen, but mark my words, it will, and I'm never wrong about my predictions either.  Just ask all my married friends :-)