Thursday, 10 December 2015

Whenever you call. . .

Love wandered inside
Stronger than you
Stronger than I
And now that it has begun
We cannot turn back
We can only turn into one

I am a huge admirer of the works of Mariah Carey and Brian McKnight.  Individually they are prolific songwriters and artists in their own right, but for me, this duet is one of the classic love songs that speaks to me about the promise of being there for someone and in turn they will be there for you.  The first verse suggests that you can't help who you fall in love with, no matter how hard your head tries to tell you to be sensible and try to distance yourself from truly inappropriate choices, but the heart wants what the heart wants.  So you have the choice to pursue the unsuitable or continue on your merry way and stick to the safe side of the tracks.  Which path would you choose?  If love is such a strong force that is stronger than you or the other person - I wonder how that manifests itself physically in front of our eyes?

I won't ever be too far away to feel you
And I won't hesitate at all
Whenever you call
And I'll always remember
The part of you so tender
I'll be the one to catch your fall
Whenever you call

This song reminds me about a lot of phone conversations that I have had with previous partners.  Each had their own distinct phone etiquette about how you conducted a phone conversation with someone you really liked (or loved).  I would learn each person's particular phone etiquette.  I remember one person who wouldn't like to keep me waiting on the line if he had to rush off and do something else (there was call waiting, it could've been done with minimal fuss) but he hated the idea of me waiting for him - his rationale?  His father taught him - never keep a girl waiting.  I think learning each person's individual phone etiquette taught me how to be available and how to truly listen to people and always be accommodating; much like how the song suggests I was always there for people whenever they called.


And I'm truly inspired
Finding my soul
There in your eyes
And you
Have opened my heart
And lifted me inside
By showing me yourself
Undisguised

When you can see your soul reflected in someone else's eyes, you will realise that you have a connection and you can see their hearts in their eyes too.  You're probably thinking one of two things, how is it physically possible to see all this or what is going on about here?  The way in which even your eyes can call to someone else's heart to be opened from within themselves, to be revealed to you - that must take some skills that can't be taught - you either have the magic touch to be able to do it or it's some type of fluke!

And I will breathe for you each day
Comfort you through all the pain
Gently kiss your fears away
You can turn to me and cry
Always understand that I 
Give you all I am inside

I hope that you will find someone who is able to be a really strong support person for you, who will be there to pick you up when you constantly fall apart.  There will not be many people who will be able to make you feel, remind you what feelings are supposed to feel like, but it's more about you coming to terms with recognising how feelings feel - and just getting on with feeling them - freely, without inhibition and without self-judgement or the fear that you will be judged by others for being who you were always meant to be.   I think this is why I constantly give all that I am inside, I constantly give until it hurts and I don't imagine any real consequence or damage can come from giving right?  People think that if you give, that there's a capped limit.  Theres no limit to giving folks.  Always understand that I give you all I am inside. . . 

So even if I haven't spoken to you in a long time, just know that you can always call me.
There doesn't need to be any small talk about other things.  Talk about the elephant in the room if you want to.  Give me some clear indication about what it is that you want me to do because I won't ever be too far away to feel you,  And I won't hesitate at all, Whenever you call. . .