Tuesday, 22 December 2015

Take good care of my heart. . .

When you finally feel like your heart is in a safe enough state to be given to someone else, at least to hold onto for a bit because you've started to trust them with it - that's a good step in the right direction.  You can't of course guarantee that you won't get hurt in the process, because that's the chance you take playing this game of love - you must be prepared to get hurt by fully immersing yourself by handing your heart over to someone.  You run the risk of having your heart trampled, pushed and pulled in so many directions, but only if you allow that person to take control and abuse your heart.  I think sometimes we forget that - we can give our hearts to someone for safe keeping, but we should be smart enough to know - at the first sign of abuse, we can take it back.  It's our right to do what we can to preserve and protect our hearts.  We only have one heart - so we must be careful.

Time can pass so slowly, when you feel so all alone
Love can strike like lightning when you find your heart a home
I've seen it in the movies, read about it in a book
I never thought I'd feel it, but your touch was all it took

It sounds like a cliche, that you find love when you aren't looking.  I'm a firm believer in love striking like lightning, because I've experienced it on so many different levels.  Where does your heart call home?  Movies and books have a lot to answer for - the romantic notions of love that articulate the depths of feelings that we don't often associate with real life scenarios and situations; but trust me, these things can and do happen with the right people, so we just need to make sure that when we allow ourselves to feel, that we just feel it and run with it, and enjoy our moments with people who want to connect with us.

Take good care of my heart, take good care of my heart
Baby you're the first to take it, you're the only one who can break it
I love you more than I should, but it keeps me feeling so good
I've waited for your love forever
You're the one to take good care of my heart

Have you broken any hearts lately?  Have you broken any hearts in your past?  I find it strange that people that I have loved have had heart problems (literally) and I often think it is symptomatic of the heart pain and heart pangs that they have also suffered in this world.  I've been a heartbreaker.  I used to live by a mantra of hurt or get hurt and it was the safest way to live life, by making sure that you survived any serious love situations relatively unscathed because you kicked into self preservation; you learned this the hard way.



Come and make your magic, till you have me hypnotised
If we get any closer, I'll be drowning in your eyes
You're the one I needed the most, when my love was on the line
I'm so glad you gave me yours, when I gave you mine

We are often afraid to give our hearts to people because we are afraid that they won't know what to do with it; so we wait for them to give us their hearts first so that we can reciprocate and give ours in return.  Have you drowned in someone's eyes before?  It can be really hard to get out of those eyes, probably because when I think of drowning, I think you're dead floating in the water somewhere, rather than being able to swim to safety.  What line was your love on?  Have you ever laid down your love on the line sometime?  It can be disconcerting to lay your love down on the line and then have to slowly pick it back up because there was no need to lay it down.  We can sometimes misconstrue the signals we receive so we need to teach ourselves how to read the signs carefully, and if in doubt we need to speak up and be clear about what those signs are to avoid further pain and unnecessary drama.

Take good care of my heart, take good care of my heart
Baby you're the first to take it, you're the only one who can break it
I love you more than I should, but it keeps me feeling so good
I've waited for your love forever
You're the one to take good care of my heart. . . 

I hope that someone gives you their heart soon, so that you can give them yours.
I hope that you know what it feels like to have someone love you more than they should, well actually, it would be nice if you knew how that felt too, because you need to learn what it feels like to be in that position - to love someone more and panic about it a little.  If you know that the love you are feeling is one that you have waited for your whole life, then you know you've done the right thing - thrown yourself into the feelings that you have denied yourself in the past.  But until you can entrust someone else with taking care of your heart, learn how to take good care of it yourself. . .