Saturday, 19 December 2015

Last Christmas. . .

This blog post is dedicated to people who don't necessarily have fond memories of Christmas. . . 

When Christmas rolls around does it bring memories that are bitter sweet or full of heartache, even heartbreak?  You watch people busily rush around looking at shop windows, looking through various items that shop vendors are peddling and all of the pain comes flooding back to you about your love that was either lost or betrayed.  Does it get easier as each year passes or do you still find that it is quite raw?   I hope that by the time you finish this blog post, that you can make a start to pushing past the pain and focus on what you have in your life right now so that you can relish the happiness that you do have :-)

Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away
This year to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special

You gave your heart thinking the love was reciprocated, but no it wasn't to be.  So rather than focus on what you've lost, step back a bit further to get the bigger picture - they actually did you a favour.  I'm not saying that you were meant to get hurt, but in fact, you are meant to learn about pain so that you know how to build strength within yourself to withstand further pain, future pain.

Once bitten and twice shy
I keep my distance but you still catch my eye
Tell me baby do you recognise me?
Well it's been a year, it doesn't surprise me

It's torture isn't it, absolute torture, yet you still put yourself through it.  Are you some kind of sucker for punishment or something?  Do you think your ex will recognise you (well probably) but I don't think they'll be taking a second glance at you anytime soon - there's a reason why they're our ex's right - they're no longer in the picture.  So why hold on and subject yourself to more pain and humiliation?  Didn't get enough of it the first time around?  Are you hoping that time and distance has worked its magic and things are different?  Better?


I wrapped it up and sent it
With a note saying "I love you"I meant it
Now I know what a fool I've been
But if you kissed me now I know you'd fool me again

The price you pay for opening your heart is normally not pain or humiliation.  I'm not saying that you won't be able to experience anymore pain or humiliation because that would be a lie, but what I am saying is that you should be able to learn great lessons from these experiences to better love yourself, so that you know how you want to be loved by others.  You want people to love for you the cake that you bring, not the crumbs that they throw back at you.

A face on a lover with a fire in his heart
A man undercover but you tore him apart
Maybe next year
I'll give it to someone, I'll give it to someone special
Special, someone, someone
I'll give it to someone, I'll give it to someone special

There is potential for people to treat experiences in love with disdain and with the intention (or unintentionally sometimes) to hurt, dominate or have power over the other person.  That sounds pretty 50 shades of grey you might think, but I'm talking here about when you allow someone the power to ruin your Christmas and all future Christmases based on what you went through with them - is this fair to you?  Why would you do that to yourself? You deserve happiness so don't deny yourself opportunities to give your heart to others who will be able to treat you with the respect you should be getting.

Who'll give me something in return
I'll give it to someone, hold my heart and watch it burn

I hope that you put last Christmas in a bubble and blow it away.  Look forward to this Christmas next week and look forward to making some new memories and giving your heart freely and with gusto to people that you can trust to hold your heart :-)