Friday, 25 December 2015

I'll follow the sun. . .

How are you with goodbyes?  There may not be many opportunities for you to say goodbye to someone for whatever reason - whether you drifted apart, circumstances were beyond your control or you just lost contact and didn't get to say goodbye and you're left wondering how the other person is.  Goodbyes are normally tied in with sentimentality and prompts you to reflect on your time together, what you learned from each other - explicitly or implicitly - and then you start thinking about the types of memories you had - happy, sad, good, bad that were all wrapped up in all different types of times that are made up of moments, as small and minute as a look or a gesture to a grand event or adventure that provides a secret language no one else understands.

One day you'll look to see I've gone
For tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun
Someday you'll know I was the one
But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun

Our approach to learning from each other is much like the approach taken to the vocals in this song. We can sing the first line together in unison in the first and third lines, trying things out to see if you can carry the melody on your own in the second and fourth lines.  The beginning of a connection or interaction is spent looking for common ground, listening to each other to see how you can solidify the boundaries within which you will develop your circle of trust.  I am grateful and appreciative of being the one who has helped you understand more about yourself and what you needed to know to live your best life, to realise your potential has no limit.  There's no going back from here, so stop looking to the negativity in your past, but acknowledge and accept it for what it is and move onwards and upwards.


And now the time has come
And so my love I must go
And though I lose a friend
In the end you will know, oooh

Once you have gained the confidence to carry the melody on your own, I can branch off and start harmonising; as the red colour suggests in this verse.  Of course I can only branch out into exploring the harmony part if you are able to stick to your guns and not be put off by hearing another vocal part a third lower than you.  As for the lyrics, even though they seem self explanatory, it cannot be stressed enough that all things come to an end - whether we want them to or not; whether things die of natural causes or you might need to perform some kind of sacred ritual that requires honour to be held above all else (with a good measure of integrity to be sure).  There is a sense here that you will not understand now, but that in time, once we have come to terms with making our own ways into the world, when the connection or friendship must end, you will be better for it and know why.  It is not easy of course to lose friendships, but we must be resilient enough to rebuild and reestablish new pathways in life.

One day you'll find that I have gone
But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun

Yea, tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun

And now the time has come
And so my love I must go
And though I lose a friend
In the end you will know, oooh

There is simplicity in beauty and there is that winning formula in this song where the lyrics and music are repeated with a sliver of a guitar interlude thrown in for good measure, to break the vocal  emphasis in this song.  But I guess it's the harmony of John Lennon to Paul McCartney's melody that makes the song what it is, complemented by the unison pairing in the first verse.  I guess we shouldn't look at it as losing a friend either, but more the ending of a friendship's close connection because there will be other friends that will take priority because you will need to learn more from them and put into practice what we have shared.

One day you'll find that I have gone
But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun

I hope that when it is time to part ways that you will understand, that I understand, that we both understand - everything is realised in the fullness of time.  You'll find that I'm gone because you will think that you want me here with you, when you actually no longer need me.

Life places people in your path that you attract because you need them there, you have manifested them there, to assist you in your journey to realise your destiny.  So even though it may seem to you like it's raining if I'm no longer there, just know that I'll always be cheering from the sidelines.

I may still even be that voice in your head that you might still listen to - proud that you will follow your own sun, just I have followed my own sun :-)