Monday, 7 December 2015

Hooked on a feeling. . .

Conversation series:  Conversation with a friend who is finding her way in the love game. . . 

Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga
Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga

We probably first came across this song when we watched that episode of the dancing baby in Ally McBeal.  This is one of those silly songs that we laugh about and just love listening to it because it sounds fun.  The opening lines of the song have probably one of the most recognisable lyrics, even though they don't mean anything or don't perform any function other than to provide some interesting accompaniment to the melody.

I can't stop this feeling, deep inside of me
Girl you just don't realise what you do to me
When you hold me in your arms so tight
You let me know everything's alright

When you first told me about this guy, I thought are you sure? haha.  I guess I was just more nervous for you than anything else because you hadn't expressed any interest in a relationship for some time as you focused on your career and there were other priorities and commitments that took precedence over your own happiness (or sense of fun, let's be honest).  I must say thought that it's been nice to see you enjoy yourself for a change and see your eyes light up when you talk about this guy.  


I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me

It's ok for you to be hooked on feelings as well.  For the most part I think feelings are often misunderstood by people and seen as a weakness in many areas of people's lives, where they don't have a place for feelings (well, feelings doesn't feature anywhere really) so they spend most of their time denying that it exists or being able to explore it to its fullest extent in any shape or form.  I guess this is why it's exciting that you have totally embraced being hooked on a feeling for a change - I like to see you happy.

Lips as sweet as candy, its taste is on my mind
Girl you've got me thirsty for another cup of wine
Got a bug from you girl, but I don't need no cure
I'll just be a victim, if I can for sure

One thing I am glad that he's doing is spoiling you rotten.  It's not often that you hear stories of men being real gentlemen these days, well I'm not saying chivalry is dead but I guess pulling out a defibrillator once in a while to revive it wouldn't go amiss.  

All the good love when we're alone
Keep it up girl, yeah you turn me on

From what you've told me about this guy, just keep doing you and being yourself.  I'm looking forward to meeting him soon enough, but when you're ready of course.  It's a pretty big deal to have your friend meet a significant someone in your life so don't make it hard on a girl.  I have always hated it when friends try to belittle you in front of other people, almost as if to make themselves better?  There's a reason why self esteem is called self esteem - you are in control of how you cultivate your self esteem - not other people (just wanted to remind people about that one).

I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing
That you're in love with me. . .

I hope you just enjoy the feelings that you're experiencing and just go with it.
As much people can offer you advice about how to feel, at the end of the day, they're your feelings and all I can say is, keep being hooked on a feeling and being high on believing. . .