Thursday, 24 December 2015

Here comes the sun. . .

I write as much as I can on this blog, when I can.  Sometimes it might take a while to get inspired to write something, but other times I write the blog posts from beginning to end in one sitting because the music speaks to me, the song fits something that I've been thinking about for a while and it just seems to flow out onto the page.  I can say that one of the key reasons for setting up this blog has been to help me write at will, to write on cue, because I'm in the process of completing my PhD in Education and I figured that one way to help me with the flow of my writing, was to write and process my thoughts through my love of music.  What I didn't count on was that I can now write so fluently when it comes to this blog that I need to make a more concerted effort to transfer this fluency to my academic writing.  It's that age old problem of writing for passion and writing for purpose - the audiences are different too but it's almost like I need to trick my mind into thinking that my passion and the purpose are the same.  Of course it totally is the same thing on so many levels, but I need to make it more ingrained I guess, more embedded and entrenched in what I do when I write; adopt a more systematic way of writing.  If I can write about my feelings in this way, can I write my thesis in this way?  Well, it's worth a shot - I just need to back it up with references :-)

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here

As we near the end of the year, I'm taking stock of things to be grateful for and taken a closer look at this blog.  I have noticed this month that I have an increasing readership in Slovakia (I don't know anybody personally in Slovakia but hi to you if you're reading!).  The top five countries that have read my blog since I started this blog in November 2013 are the United States, New Zealand (Aotearoa), Australia, France and Germany.  I am curious sometimes about why people read what I write.  Nobody really comments on the blog posts so it's hard to get some feedback but people seem to retweet when I post on Twitter and other social media sites.  I can say that this blog has helped me to see through a long cold lonely winter as at times since my husband died in May 2013, I have felt like I have had to rediscover myself all over again, get to know what it means to be a woman again in the world.  It has definitely felt like years since I've been here in this place where I can stand with the sun in my face.

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here

Now when I look at people, I notice their facial expressions a little bit more.  I pay attention to what I can see in their eyes, how they speak, how they sound when they speak, their hand gestures, their smiles.  You can tell a lot about people from their smiles, especially when they haven't smiled much in the years that you have known them so you start to notice that their face looks entirely different when they smile and laugh.  I think that's part of the reason why I enjoy making people smile or laugh - I think they look more beautiful when I can see the smile has reached their eyes too.  I often chuckle to myself, because for a person with relatively bad vision, I have greater insight that connects to my intuition.


Here comes the sun, here comes the sun 
And I say it's alright

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes
Sun, sun, sun, here it comes

Too often we can question when good things come to us, when good things happen, when good people enter our lives, I mean we even question ourselves about whether we are good people too.  We need to understand that we don't need to question this - because we attract good things and good people if we feel good about who we are and the good things that we want to put out into the world.  It sounds simple doesn't it?  We must remember to bask in the sun when it comes, enjoy the warmth that it brings and harness its power to let us grow and develop into ways we never dreamed possible because we have no limits to our potential.  We need to remember that it's alright when good things come, when good people come - it's alright.

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear

I hope that you won't be afraid of the sun when it comes.  We fear too much of the extreme, that we will get sunburnt if we expose ourselves too much to the sun or suffer the fate of Icarus and have our wings melt off because we don't heed our father's warning and fly to close to the sun because we've lulled ourselves into a false sense of security.  All I'm saying is that it's alright to greet the sun, embrace it and celebrate your strengths, your achievements and know that there are other good things and good people who will come into your life and help keep the rest of your days in your lifetime - as sunny as you want them to be.

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun 

And I say it's alright

I've written this one just for you - from beginning to end - in one sitting.

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun 

And I say it's alright. . .