Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Blue bayou. . .

I feel so bad I got a worried mind
I'm so lonesome all of the time
Since I left my baby behind
On Blue Bayou

Growing up I was probably more familiar with this version of Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstadt.  In contrast to the Roy Orbison version, it is a lot slower and seems more dramatic with a simpler arrangement to maximise the focus on her voice.  The bassline that keeps the steady pace and tempo of the music gives an impression of a lazy. lethargic balmy evening, sipping an ice cold iced tea on some porch watching the breeze ripple through the trees.  But I guess in my situation, it would be watching from the porch of my family home in Samoa where I will be in January next year.

Saving nickels, saving dimes
Working 'til the sun don't shine
Looking forward to happier times
On Blue Bayou

The introduction of the synthesiser in this verse provides some much needed harmonic accompaniment that act as countermelodies, helping to create a call and response effect.  The idea that you work hard so that you are able to do things for your loved ones is something that continues to be valued in today's day and age - but to varying degrees of course.


I'm going back someday
Come what may
To Blue Bayou
Where the folks are fine
And the world is mine
On Blue Bayou

Is that a mandolin?  Roy's recording feels like there's so much going on, the tempo is much faster than Linda's version.  There is a shift more into the realm of the individual as we seek to connect globally rather than locally.  I think about my new neighbours (well, not so new now as I've been in my new house since June) but the fact that I don't know my neighbours illustrates my point of keeping our distance from what's in front of us, but choosing rather to engage with people and events that are trending across the world.  Is this what it means to be a global citizen?

Where those fishing boats
With their sails afloat
If I could only see
That familiar sunrise
Through sleepy eyes
How happy I'd be

There is definitely a sense of comfort that comes from being around the familiar, because your eyes widen or light up when it falls upon someone or something that is familiar to you.  Even through sleepy eyes you would still recognise that familiar sunrise and know that where you woke up is exactly where you needed to be.




Gonna see my baby again
Gonna be with some of my friends
Maybe I'll feel better again
On Blue Bayou

It's important to surround yourself with loved ones, with people who have your best interests at heart.  The more that you are able to feel the nurture from people you trust and care about - this is critically important if we are to be at our optimum levels of functionality.  I know that sounds really technical and clinical somewhat, but if you think about it - where are you meant o get the nurture and respite from the crazy stuff that life throws at you - if not with the people who you trust and who care about you - then all you have to go on is a whole host of memories and the lessons learned from those challenges that you conquered.

Oh that boy of mine by my side
The silver moon and the evening tide
Oh, some sweet day gonna take away this hurtin' inside
Well I'll never be blue, my dreams come true
On Blue Bayou. . . 

It must be said, that there will be sad times in your life - it's a given, no shadow of a doubt about that.  But it is how we respond to those sad times, counter those with the happy times that we have already had together with the promise of happier times with many more new experiences that are waiting to be had, with other people that you haven't even met yet, in new places that you've never even been to.  You might ask yourself - what's the point of that?  Isn't the blue bayou meant to be someplace where I can go to that feels like home - and you would be right.  I'm just saying that you need to remember home for you - will be where you feel the most yourself :-)