Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Wonder. . .

Are you a challenging person to be around?  I mean, do people literally look at you in wonder because you don't quite fit their perception of who you are supposed to be?  It is probably something that I am blessed to be everyday.  (You thought I was going to say it was a burden huh?).  There is no burden that you need to bear, but I do understand that it might take a whole lot of learning before you can be confident in who you are so that despite you being different to everyone else, it doesn't mean it's wrong. just different.

Doctors have come from distant cities
Just to see me, stand over my bed
Disbelieving what they're seeing

When you defy human expectations for how you can do some things better than others because it comes more naturally for you than it does for them - it is easy to see why it would be disbelief that you see in people's eyes when they look at you.  I guess ways in which people would reach out to you would be through social media, particularly if you are an active global citizen on social media platforms and people who you've never met but follow you on Twitter or Instagram would feel that they have some kind of connection to you through the thoughts, images and statements that you share.

They say I must be one of the wonders
Of God's own creation
And as far as they can see they can offer
No explanation

People don't need to try and figure out who you are, as long as you know who you are - that's the absolute non-negotiable when it comes to revealing your truth.  Sometimes there are things that defy explanation, but most of the time it's because people are so fixated on putting labels on you - and then they can't deal with what happens when you don't fit those historical stereotypes of what they assume you to be.  There is in fact no explanation that is sufficient, because we aren't meant to focus on justification in this way, but we need to focus on how to listen to each other and learn with judging.


Newspapers ask intimate questions
Want confessions
They reach into my head
To steal the glory of my story

The All Blacks (New Zealand's national rugby team is returning home from the Rugby World Cup which was hosted in England.  They are the current world champions in the sport, winning back to back titles where they were also crowned the champions on their home turf of Eden Park in Auckland, New Zealand.  They are due to return in the early hours of this morning at Auckland's International Airport.  Global media have all fallen in love with the All Blacks, the love fest will continue with reluctant acceptance from the Australian media who have shifted from taunting the All Blacks with bets placed by their own rugby union, but the shift that comes from the team being labelled as perhaps the best rugby team that has ever       played the game.

O, I believe
Fate smiled and destiny
Laughed as she came to my cradle
Know this child will be able
Laughed when she came to my mother
Know this child will not suffer
Laughed as my body she lifted
Know this child will be gifted
With love, with patience and with faith
She'll make her way

My father once told me an interesting story when I was a child, when I was a baby being held in his own mother's arms.  I'm named after his mother you see.  I think there is potential to have an affinity with your namesake.  She died when I was quite young, only 7 years old.  But my father talked about when I was a baby and my paternal grandmother held me in her arms, she put her right hand on my forehead, looked up at him and told him, she will be very clever.  I'm not sure I've told people that story, but it reminded me a lot of this song in terms of everyone in fact, being a wonder, in their own worlds, that we are in fact destined to live a life that will bring joy to others, make a difference in transforming everything around us, everything we touch, see and interact with to ensure that we have a responsibility to use our gifts.  

People see me
I'm a challenge to your balance
I'm over your heads
How I confound you and astound you. . . 

I hope you continue to just "do you".  There is no compulsion to conform and to go with the current status quo.  I mean, I'm not saying that you're going to be contrary to people just for the sake of being different, because I truly believe that difference is something that can only be handled by people who have the capacity and capability to engage others with ways to bring appropriate levels of challenge.  I know that people may not necessarily like that about me, particularly when I am advocating for those who cannot speak so when those times come and people don't like what I say, I sing. . .