Saturday, 21 November 2015

Thank you. . .

This track is a song request by +Anaru White 

I first came across Dido and her epic songwriting with her brother Roland Armstrong when I was a vocal tutor at a contemporary music studio many many moons ago when I was studying at university.  I loved her soft, smooth tone that seemed to gloss over her haunting melodies. Although she released this single, its popularity entered the stratosphere once it was sampled in Eminem's Stan as the hook the chorus.  The sentiment of the chorus in its sample showing the irony of the title character not having the best day at all but in fact, became thwarted at every turn in his attempt to be closer to the real Slim Shady.

My tea's gone cold and I'm wondering why I got out of bed at all
The morning rain clouds up my window and I can't see at all
And even if I could it'd all be grey, but your picture on my wall
It reminds me that it's not so bad, it's not so bad

We can often start our day feeling as dreary as the weather outside, that is even mirrored in the coldness of the tea we've made for ourselves.  Do you have someone's picture to put on your wall?  Is there someone in your life that helps you get through your day, makes your day less dreary and cold just by looking at their face or remembering something that they've said?

I drank too much last night, got bills to pay, my head just feels in pain
I missed the bus and there'll be hell to pay, I'm late for work again
And even if I'm there, they'll all imply that I might not last the day
And then you call me and it's not so bad, it's not so bad

It is very easy for us to let life get on top of us.  It only takes one small thing that annoys you that can quickly snowball out of control to cause a landslide when you least expect it, because you haven't addressed it or acknowledged the end of that small thing - before you wipe the slate clean and choose to have a good day.  I guess we must be grateful for people who call us when we start to feel like our day is going downhill and they remind us to smile once in a while.



I want to thank you for giving me the best day of my life
Oh just to be with you is giving me the best day of my life

Do you have people who in spite of everything going on in your life that seems to be wrong, they represent everything that could go right, so you keep these people close to you, because you know they are the best people to be able to give you that best day in your life.  I've often talked about just being with someone and not necessarily having to do anything - just being with them is enough.

Push the door I'm home at last, and I'm soaking through and through
Then you handed me a towel and all I see is you
And even if my house falls down now, I wouldn't have a clue
Because you're near me and 

I hope that you have people in your life who know exactly what you need, when you need it - and even if they don't - they know to ask or sense when you might need something - just by sending you a picture, a text message, well timed phone call until of course you come face to face with them again.  If you're too scared to venture into the possibility of having someone new in your life, entertaining the possibility of sharing your life with someone new, don't worry about it - just enjoy making contact with people and practise having those conversations because you never know, you could be underestimating yourself.

I want to thank you for giving me the best day of my life
Oh just to be with you is giving me the best day of my life. . .

Thank you for giving me so many of the best days of my life that I honestly can't recall.  There will be many people who will be happy to give you the best day of your life - so why not let them try?  You will never know how much you will want to be with them, because they will most likely want to be with you, just as much, and you don't even know :-)