Saturday, 7 November 2015

Music and me. . .

I've spent the morning finally trying to make sense of my shambles of a home office.  It's been a big dream of mine for a long time to have a quiet work space where I can just focus on my own work and not have to worry about putting things all over the walls (yeah those mind maps and concept maps that I draw so furiously when I'm listening to something important, it's how I process information).  I've uncovered some real treasures in the boxes I packed and had a quiet laugh about all of the things that I have saved through the years.  As well as all of my academic work over the years, I have also saved a lot of music, sheet music, recorded music (in all of its various form - cassette tape and video tape would you believe!).  I also discovered some diaries or journals that I kept.  Those I will probably feature in the Poetry Corner as there are some great thoughts there that shucks, even I didn't realise how much of a writer I have been for such a long time - much like my relationship with music.

We've been together for such a long time
Music, music and me
Don't care whether our songs rhyme
Now music, music and me

One thing that has been probably the most constant and most comforting or soothing influence in my life - has been the power of music.  She has been there for as long as I can remember, I can't imagine my life without her, because I can connect everything I hear to a song I've heard before or the way a song made me feel.  I'm also one of those annoying people where whatever word someone finished a sentence with in a conversation, I always had a song that either had that word ready to sing from my internal jukebox or I could find a song that reflected the theme of a the sentence.  It would frustrate the hell out of my friends, but it was a game I liked to play by myself (still do).  It doesn't matter if there is no assonance in the rhyming of songs - how we are with each other - because it's always been music and me.



Only know wherever I go
We're as close as two friends can be
There have been others
But never two lovers 
Like music, music and me

Friends and lovers will come and go but I don't think I have ever been hurt by music or felt abandoned by it.  I'm not saying that you only listen to happy songs all the time either, but the power that music has also means that you can listen to music that will make you angry or sad, by helping you to process situations where conversations fail.  Music has always been a mood changer for me.  It can bolster my resolve, it can remind me about misreading a situation, it can also give me hope and gratitude to know that regardless of whatever happens, that they happen for a reason, for a lesson that needs to be learned and to accept what we can't control.  I can forgive music for anything, because she never lets me down and knows exactly what to play to suit not only the mood I'm in, but the moods that I need to transition through in order to be in a safe and secure place - to be at home.

Grab a song and come along
You can sing your melody
In your mind you will find
A world of sweet harmony

Thank you for singing your melody with me.  I find that even with people who I wouldn't want to sing melodies with or even want to listen to their melodies - it is important to be open and to show respect and tolerance.  Even when I've tried to share melodies with others and they have declined - there is still a lesson to be learned in that too - they're just not ready to sing with me.  I think it's important to learn that not everybody will want to sing melodies with you so they won't be part of that world of sweet harmony with you.

Bird of a feather will fly together
Now music, music and me
Music and me. . . 

I hope that you will always continue to fly with me.  I can foresee that there will be many journeys ahead that will be long, treacherous, arduous and threaten to steer me off course, off track from the goals that I have long established in my mind's eye that need to be completed and achieved - so I must continue to keep my eyes on the prize.  If that means that I am only going to have you by my side - then music and me - here's to us and many more memorable years together :-)