Friday, 20 November 2015

Landslide. . .

This track is originally by Fleetwood Mac via Stevie Nicks.  This blog post features the cover version from The Dixie Chicks but it has also been covered by The Smashing Pumpkins.  I think I like the harmonies that permeate the featured version as well as the banjos and steel guitar that helps to fill out the song, especially within the instrumental interludes between the verses.

I took my love and I took it down
I climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Well, the landslide brought me down

Is it hard for you to see yourself in what you do, where you are and who you're with?  Sometimes it can't be possible to see yourself within the contexts that you roll in, but I guess that's all part of the learning that you come to discover about yourself, because I truly believe that it is in the company of others, more so than the observation of others, that you learn the most about yourself.  I often think - when you look at the reflection of yourself somewhere - are you surprised by what you see or do you think - I fully expected to see that there?

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Do you ask yourself how you can navigate your way through the landslide?  What does the child within your heart say?  When will you know that it is time to rise above?  How do the changing ocean tides affect how you sail through them?  Are you equipped for sailing through those changes?  As the seasons in your life changes - are you also prepared for those changes too?




Well I've been afraid of changing 'cause I built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older 
I'm getting older, too
Well I'm getting older

Change is a scary thing.  I have friends that are going through a lot of changes, major changes in their lives at the moment, but for me change can be as subtle as the small changes that you make when you wake up each day and decide how your day will be, what you intend to achieve and how you will contribute to the lives of others who intertwine with yours.  I don't know about you but when I look at my friends' children and see how much they have grown, it does make me think about not my own mortality per se, but definitely how much older I am getting, but I'm ok with that.  I then think about - if I am getting older (which is of course true for everybody), how does what I have learned as I age going to benefit other people?  What will my age bring me?  Who have you built your life around?

So, take this love and take it down
Yeah, and if you climb a mountain and you turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Well, the landslide brought me down 
And if you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Well, maybe
Well, maybe
Well, maybe the landslide will bring you down

Will you let the landslide bring you down?  I don't know if you see a landslide being a negative or positive thing - all I know is that a landslide is an inevitable thing.  So if a landslide occurs in your life and they will, because it is all part of nature and things react with other and cause events and occurrences to happen as part of nature - then will you have a natural response or contrived response to it?  All I know is that once the dust has settled (literally, after a landslide!) then expect to start thinking about how the landslide has made you feel - did it actually bring you down, or help you to see something that the landslide uncovered in what was left behind?

I hope you know what to do when landslides come your way - and even when you don't, it's all part of what you need to learn about not only how to survive them, but move on from them and appreciate what has emerged in your life :-)