Monday, 2 November 2015

Kind and generous. . .

I often think about genuine acts of care and kindness that people do for others that are unexpected and don't expect reciprocity.  We see it many times in our lives with the feel-good stories that sometimes ends a news broadcast to show how the generous side of our humanity.  Are you as kind and generous in your own life?  Have you shown appreciation to someone who has been more than kind and generous to you when you didn't ask for it, but so desperately needed it?

You've been so kind and generous
I don't know how you keep on giving
For your kindness I'm in debt to you
For your selflessness, my admiration
And for everything you've done

If you're anything like me, you like to help people out as much as you can.  I am a fervent believer in being able to share your gifts and talents to help others whose lives can be better because of you, not for your own praise, but because that is the purpose of having those gifts and talents in the first instance - to share this with others.  There is no limit to the gifts and talents that we have - so why should we deny others who want to able to cultivate and develop those very gifts and talents for themselves?

You know I'm bound. . . 
I'm bound to thank you for it

When someone does something for you out of the goodness of their heart or because it is in their philosophy to give - then we are bound, in fact we should be bound, to thank them for it.  No amount of kindness or generosity should go unrecognised.  I'm not talking about the tax deductible kind too.  I'm talking about genuine acts of kindness and generosity that you do, because you would hope that when you needed a timely act of kindness or generosity in your time of need; someone would appear and assist you when you had all but given up hope.


I want to thank you 
For so many gifts
You gave with love and tenderness
I want to thank you

Do you appreciate all of the gifts that people give you?  You can be guilty of taking those gifts on offer for granted, because they offer it up willingly to help you out, to help you realise your own gifts, or because they are just good people and that's what they do for everyone.  You can easily see though when someone gives with love and tenderness because they give with joy in their heart and they want to foster that same joy in yours - kind of like some connection that is forged that they want you to do in kind to someone else who will also need your help somewhere along the line, to pay it forward.

I want to thank you
For your generosity
The love and the honesty
That you gave me

On the flip side, sometimes acts of kindness or generosity can be easily misconstrued for other things, like the suspicion that there's a hidden agenda.  Even if you told your "truth" about why you did things for others, it's up to the person asking the questions or the individual questioning your motives, the reasons for your intentional kindness and generosity.  Are the motivations behind what could be seen as seeming acts of kindness or generosity - actually be acts of kindness or generosity?  I peg it down to the overly excitable imaginations and suspicious minds that we have.  Is it really that bad that we can so easily praise random acts of kindness or generosity carried out by strangers online as being wonderful and heartfelt - yet when we come across it in our own backyard, people assume the worst or choose to criticise?

I want to thank you
Show you my gratitude
My love and respect for you
I want to thank you

If you haven't had a chance to thank those who do so much for you, who choose to push aside their own lives to make sure that yours runs smoother or is a little less chaotic - have some common sense and show love and respect for those who you should be grateful towards.

So what is considered appropriate ways of showing gratitude?  The receiver of your gratitude should be able to feel your gratitude through whatever gestures that you know shows how much having them in your life, enriches your life.  Thanking people should come as easily to you as venting about people who annoy you.  Keep practising that attitude of gratitude - it's really hard to develop, but you need to develop the aptitude for the gratitude attitude.

So to everyone I have ever had a conversation with, connected with and learned so much about myself through what I have learned about you - from all of the enemies, friends and pretend-friends or frenemies:

I want to. . . . 

Thank you

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you. . .