Tuesday, 24 November 2015

Caramel. . .

I love Suzanne Vega.  Her tone is sultry and dances around in my head as her smooth lyrical melodies are heightened by the harmonic accompaniment provided by the woodwind instruments, as well as the guitar chords and syncopated bass line, that explores its higher register as the song progresses.  The subtle rhythmic accompaniment is provided by the bongos and shakers while the ha

It won't do to dream of caramel
To think of cinnamon and long for you

It won't to stir a deep desire
To fan a hidden fire that could never burn true

In the video clip attached to this blog post, she describes the how the song is about wanting something sweet that you know you shouldn't have.  I guess this is the beauty of music where you can use language and metaphorical references to illustrate your intentions or sentiments.  Do you long for something or someone that you know you shouldn't have?  I smile when I think about how people will try to talk themselves out of life's supposed guilty pleasures.  I guess you don't want to do anything or entertain any ideas that you assume will not lead to anywhere in particular or stir a deep desire that can't be fulfilled.

I know your name, I know your skin
I know the way these things begin

But I don't know how to live with myself
What I'd forgive of myself if you don't go

Temptation is a very strong thing - either you resist it or you give in.  How strong is your resolve?  Are you good with self control?  Can you live with the guilt of doing what feels good for a change, for yourself, without having to use your head so much?  I mean, who benefits from you being sensible?  What does being sensible even mean?  I guess if the other party is lingering and doesn't want to go - it seems as if the ball is in your court so to speak and why should you need to suffer to forgive yourself when they are obviously hoping that you take them up on what they are offering so willingly.  It's a game you don't want to play - because you don't know who wins - you or your guilt.


So goodbye sweet appetite
No single bite could satisfy

I know your name, I know your skin
I know the way these things begin

That's the thing about having an appetite for something sweet - once you start indulging, you can't possibly stop because you wouldn't satisfied with just a small morsel.  I mean would you even want to live life this way with self control at your highest setting?  You would probably have to wait for someone to come along who you would be willing to let your self control slip or relax your self control around.  Sometimes the imagination for the sweetness is often more satisfying than the gamble on that small morsel - so maybe the dream will satisfy will be enough to sustain you than the insufficient reality.

But I don't know how to live with myself
What I'd forgive of myself if you don't go

It won't do to dream of caramel
To think of cinnamon and long for you

There is no right or wrong answer here.  I think if you just choose whatever works for you and be prepared to change your mind often, because it's totally ok to do whatever you like or desire; you don't need to justify yourself to anybody, you don't need to have an elaborate or convincing rationale.  I think if you come across someone who makes you think with your sweet tooth - why not indulge?  Who knows, there might not need to be any reason to forgive yourself because they probably long for you as much as you long for them.  But in any case, at the end of the day - it's not about thinking, it's about feeling.  So keep dreaming of caramel and thinking of cinnamon, if it means that longing or pining for someone is almost as sweet as indulging your sweet tooth; only you know what tastes good for you :-)