Saturday, 10 October 2015

The logical song. . .

A couple of friends and I heard this song being sung at karaoke the other night and it was funny, because we had all heard the song but never really focused on the lyrics.  What made it funnier at the time was that the song fit the situation that we were in and we couldn't stop laughing and laughing and laughing (one of those 'you had to be there' moments).  But I guess that's what I love most about these songs that I've been writing about lately, they are associated with people and times (good times I might add) and they help me to reflect on the big questions that surface (dependent on what I see, think and feel) about myself and those around me.

When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily
Joyfully, playfully watching me
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible
Logical, responsible, practical
And then they showed me a world where I could be so dependable
Clinical, intellectual, cynical

This verse makes me think about the whimsical stage of life known as childhood, that things were simpler in those much simpler times and when you are sent to school to 'learn' - that maybe we lose too much of our innocence and child-like curiosity that gets sucked out of us when we are faced with the learning that we must learn.  Who gets to decide what we learn? Why do we need to be logical anyway?  Whose knowledge are we perpetuating?  Why do we need to be sensible when it's so clear these days that there are so many people who don't conform or stick to the rules?



There are the times when all the world's asleep
The questions run too deep
For such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who I am

This probably explains why you can't sleep at night sometimes because you're up so late thinking about these questions and thinking about what it is you're going to do - to ensure that you find those answers.  What are we supposed to learn?  Why should it sound absurd anyway?  All of these judgement statements that society teaches us to be able to figure things out and hey, that's probably why they sleep while you don't. . .

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical
Liberal, fanatical, criminal
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
Acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!

If you think differently to everybody else, if you think against the grain and you don't choose to think this way because you're trying to be different on purpose, but it's because you've woken up and realised things that suddenly make sense because it now seems so logical that you can't explain it, that's when you know.  I think it's important to sometimes feel acceptable, respectable and presentable because you have to be these things so that the world can make some sense of you.  But no, you don't need to be a vegetable about it.  You just need to take away the first two letters of vegetable and just be getable :-)

At night, when all the world's asleep
The questions run so deep
For such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned
I know it sounds absurd
But please tell me who I am. . . 

To be honest, I hope you never run out of questions.  I hope you know to keep asking questions too - of the world but more importantly of yourself - how else are you supposed to check yourself before you wreck yourself?  The only absurd thing about it all is if you rely on others to tell you who you are, even when you know deep down within your heart of hearts - the person you are is someone they will never understand. . . . and that's ok. . . . just as long as you learn what you want to learn :-)