Saturday, 31 October 2015

Something's gotten hold of my heart. . .

The previous blog posts have centred quite squarely on relationships and conversations with friends and colleagues about them and when I'm being asked things that make me think about what my own reflections and opinions are on such matters, it has compelled me to write about them here.  Today's blog post is no exception in this Gene Pitney classic with Marc Almond.   

Something's gotten hold of my heart
Keeping my soul and my senses apart
Something's gotten hold of my life
Cutting its way through my dreams like a knife
Turning me up, and turning me down
Making me smile, and making me frown

Do you know what that something is for you?  What could possibly be powerful enough to keep your soul and senses apart?  There are also as many things that could cut through your life and equally as many things that turn you up and down, make you smile and make you frown.  That emotional roller coaster that you are on, whether it's because you've allowed someone to force you to take a ride on it - it's totally understandable that you would probably do more than smile or frown, but most likely scream for it to stop so that you can get off.

In a world that was war
I once lived in a time that was peace and no troubles at all
But then you came my way
And a feeling of unknown shook my heart 
Made me want you to stay
All of my nights and all of my days

Have you ever met anyone who sparks that feeling of the unknown in your heart?  I've seen incidents and situations where people get along so well that they are fully so into each other that an obsession or a compulsion to always be in touch can eventuate.  Your life could've been perfectly on the lovely sedate road of calm until someone enters it and starts trashing everything in sight much like an angry rock band in a hotel room.  The funny thing is, once that feeling of unknown has shook your heart, it's too hard (well, it will take some time and patience) to even get things back to some semblance of your "normal", I mean, can we ever go back?  Somehow I don't think you can ever really return, and even if you did - it's not quite the same.


(Yeah I gotta tell you now)
Something's gotten hold of my hand
Dragging my soul to a beautiful land
Yeah something has invaded my night
Painting my sleep with a colour so bright
Changing the grey, and changing the blue
Scarlet for me and scarlet for you

I don't know if it's a good thing to have your sleep coloured scarlet.  Doesn't that mean symbolically that your dreams are in some state of high alert (oh no sorry that's red).  Scarlet I associate with is more to do with clandestine and surreptitious meetings under the cover of darkness.  Do you think that you could handle scarlet painted sleep forever?  That seems like a long time.  I think it's important that we can have scarlet sleep sometimes, but not all the time.  Wouldn't you want to see some other colours in there for some variety?

I got to know if this is the real thing
I got to know it's making my heart sing
You smile and I am lost for a lifetime
Each minute spent with you is the right time
Every hour, every day
You touch me and my mind goes astray, yeah
Baby, baby. . . 

I hope that whoever owns that smile that makes you feel lost for a lifetime, can also help you regain some perspective before they disappear.  I think that as intense and delirious a state as you will be in, you must be prepared for some ways to help you keep your heart singing, even when there is a likely possibility that it will be broken at its worst or slightly bruised at its best.  In any case, enjoy those moments when your heart sings.  Do you even need to know if it's the real thing?  Just "be" in the moment :-)